Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:13 PM   #1

The Unisphere. R-1.

Regards, Nicholas

Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:09 PM   #2

Hi Nicholas!

I love the photo... maybe in the first place because I'm so thrilled you took it with AUSTRALIA facing us, and even better TASMANIA (where I was born) clearly visible!

However evenapart from that bias... (I hope) I like the photo for it's use of colours, and "putting it in the picture" (in the park or wherever it is). This globe also so clearly shows how about 70% of the world's surface is WATER and that the southern Hemisphere is much more water than land (or in other words most of the world's land mass lies in the Northern hemisphere).

The bright blue sky and trees as well as people in the left bottom give it a good "place" feel and show the size of this part of art / geography! Cool! I'd love this in my back garden if I ever had the money to realise it! (but I live in a communist style apartment in Romania now so I can't even begin to think of fitting it here!)

I'd be interested to see any photos of this at night time... those spot / flood lights seem to be quite bright, it might be a nice theme shot. Do you have any night / evening photos you could post of this?

Also, just a final note, I think the square nature / crop of the photo actually works very well for this composition!

Well done

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:15 PM   #3

Hi Paul,

Here is a close crop of Australia from the original image.

Followed by an extreme close-up crop of your home, Tazmania.

Regars, Nicholas

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4

For Paul, Tazmania
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:24 PM   #5

Paul,

The only night shot of the Unisphere that I have is on my Homepage.

It is a Self-portrait with my wife and I ( and my tripod of course ):

http://www.nickphoto123.com/

Regards, Nicholas

Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:43 AM   #6

Hi Nicholas!

ohhhh.... you are SO kind! thanks for the very generous close ups of Australia and even of my "home isle" of Tasmania! Very generous of you (but now you've got me home sick!) :-) so cool, you can even see the mountains!! :roll:

I looked on your home page, interesting to see that Unisphere at night, and now I understand, it's in the middle of a fountain! Very cool and clever (congrats to whomever was the designer / architect of that!)

And nice to see some good other photos you made too.

Once again, many thanks... and for a return treat here is a landscape photo of the real Tasmania...

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:57 AM   #7

Hi Paul,

Next time I will shoot a full image of your Tazmania and post it for you.

Your picture of Tazmania reveals a bueatiful place and a windy seashore.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:09 AM   #8

Hi Nicholas,

Hey, that's kind you'll do a "zoom" on Tasmania (note, not spelled as you did with a Z: TaZmania!)

But couldn't you do better and dismantle the steel globe, put it in a little box (like a kit thing, or like lego) and then send it to me, it would really be great to put that up somewhere here in Romania in a park overnight and then see people's expressions the next morning!! :lol:

Indeed Tasmania is a very beautiful place (of course I'm biased!) It's not so windy as you might imagine... but I guess that photo could give that illusion. Definitely I found the UK windier (at least London where I lived and quite a few other places I visited during the years I was there). Tasmania is generally temperate and peaceful! And with only about 480,000 people on the whole island (which is about the same size as Scotland, or half the size of England, or double the size of the Netherlands!) you get an idea... it's blessed with not being so crowded!

Looking forward to your post!

Paul
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:02 PM   #9

G'day there pj,

Just wanted to quickly say that's an awsome photo there. For me it really brings out the wild side of tassie.

I love shots like that one there.

Heading hopefully upto Russel Falls this weekend. I will take plent of shots and post a few as well of the falls and surrounding area.

As for the globe very cool. There is actually a rusty globe like that but around 1/5th the size on Bruny Island.

Anyway have a great one.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:53 AM   #10

Hi Ollie!

Glad you appreciated my "wild side" of Tassie! Yes, Tasmania is a very unique place, and my fiancee (from Romania) who has been there with me about 1 year ago also said Tasmanian beaches just don't compare with anything in Europe!

I didn't know there was a similar globe (but rusty and smaller) on Bruny Island! I haven't been to Bruny Island in many years (maybe almost 15 or 20 years?!) So maybe I'll get there again one day.

Looking forward to your photos ... Russell Falls is a tranquil area!!

Paul