Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:40 PM   #11

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Squirll: The detail in that second moon shot is great. I can't wait to try it now that I have the TCON14B. I've taken some shots similar to the first one and have not been pleased with detail. Of course, 240,000 miles or so is a pretty long distance even for 12x zoom.
Ladyhawk, the best details are visible in shots of the half moon. when it's full, the sunlight hits it straight on, and there aren't many shadows to create the sense of texture and relief. your eye uses shadows to give an image depth, and if there are not, it just looks flat and two dimensional. when the light hits the moon from the side, as it did in my second shot, you can see the shadows, and that gives it detail.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:50 PM   #12

Wolfgang, it looks like you had your shutter speed correct... the aperture isn't quite as important. it looks like your camera only goes from f2.8 to f3.1, which is pretty limited, but even at f2.8,it should have produced a sharper image at those settings. if you were using a tripod, i'm not sure what's making it so blurry... did you use the self timer or a remote shutter release? even with a tripod, if you manually press the shutter on a shot like this, the pressure from your finger can easily blur the image...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote