Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:54 AM   #1

Hello folks.

This is my first posting in the galleries and I'd really welcome any comments you have on this landscape taken last year.

I know it isn't the greatest exposure to hit a sensor but I am taking a trip to Lake District in two weeks and I hope to benefit from as much advice as possible when photographing in such an amazing location.

Best
M

P.S Sorry I don't know how to show the pic in the message.

Attached Images

overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:04 AM   #2

nice peacefull shot, just one comment id like to make, and thats that the horizon doesnt appear to be level, could do with tweaking a bit. the sea looks to run down hill to the headland

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:29 AM   #3

Hi Gary,

Yes it does appear to doesn't it! I really ought to have noticed that. I could straighten it in PS but this is exactly what I need - People to critique.

I only resized and sharpended the image prior to posting to keep it as close to the original shot as possible.

Thanks.
M
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:03 AM   #4

Welcome to the forums - nice shot to start. I love the Pembrokeshire coast myself - just trying to identify this beach. It looks like it could either be Barafundle Bay near Tenby or maybe Whitesands bay near St Davids?
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5

Hi that's a nice shot. Just needs a little straightening as said. I am sure you will do those Lake District shots justice going by this post anyway. Good luck and enjoy the Lakes. By the way, if you don't happen to have PS, Picasa is a great tool for staightening images and it's free. It's pretty basic but is ok for simple editing.
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments and shaun (or anybody else puzzled as to the location) this is Fresh Water West which was a lovely location not far from our camp site in Angle.

I do have PS and will prob straighten the horizon at some point but for now I would welcome comments on this as the original image.

This was taken with my old FZ5 with a circular polariser but I will be taking my new Dynax 5d to the Lakes and I fear I may not do it justice!

Thanks again,
M
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:34 PM   #7

Your exposure, lighting and subject are excellent.

Two comments for consideration:

First, as others have noted, the horizon needs straightening. This is easily done, which is a good thing because this is a really easy error to make! :?

Second, the composition could be improved. Centering the horizon is not usually the most effective way to compose a landscape photo.

If you want to emphasize the foreground, which is my preference in this case, you could do something like this (I hope you don't mind):
Attached Images

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:42 PM   #8

Continuing the previous comment:

Instead of placing the horizon in the top third (which emphasizes foreground, you could emphasize the sky by placing the horizon on the bottom third (see below, hope you don't mind). Although this is a technically correct way to compose this shot, IMO the sky is not dramatic enough in this case to receive emphasis. You've got lovely grass and sand to work with - I like their contrast (lighter colors, textural differences) against the deep blue/green of the ocean and the pretty blue sky. Others will have different preferences.

Something else to consider is taking landscape shots vertically, which emphasizes distance and depth.

Keep posting. There is a lot of stuff in your photo that's good. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Attached Images

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:57 PM   #9

Thanks for the positive comments. I completely take your point about the horizon and despite reading so much about landscape composition - I never remember at the time of shooting!

I hadn't though of the perspective of cropping it low in order to emphasise the foreground, which in turn has produced that nice panaranic effect.

For me I find it so easy to comment on other people's photos yet I don't seem to be able to be so creative or critical of my own.

These comments are really helpful to drive home the importance of fundamental photography 'rules'.

Last wekk I invested in some hitech ND grad filters for the upcoming trip and I hope they will help in the final images.

One final note about shooting vertically - has anybody considered stitching panoramics vertically - that might be an intersting angle to explore??

Thanks again for the comments.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:11 PM   #10

overexpo wrote:
Quote:
One final note about shooting vertically - has anybody considered stitching panoramics vertically - that might be an intersting angle to explore??

Thanks again for the comments.
i've given it some thought, and even tried it once or twice, but it requires a certain subject and composition to work well... something with a strong vertical component, like a stream, or perhaps a foreground with some interest blending into a mountain peak at the top... i've been waiting for better weather to get out and find a suitable spot to try this. hopefully will be able to post one sometime soon...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote