Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:54 AM   #1

Hi there guys. This is my first moonrise shot with my new camera KM7D. Not a great photo so heaps of feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2

The idea is great and creative. Commendable effort indeed. I wish there were more details but how? Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:05 PM   #3

Hi Mountain Hawk! Congrats on the new camera, niceshot of a difficult subject, I look forward to seeing more from that KM7D!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:25 PM   #4
LT7

Hey great Camera! I have one too. Welcome fello KMinolta User. Great First try.

As Jaki says, "The idea is great and creative. Commendable effort indeed. I wish there were more details but how?"

I'm no expert, but I seem to have good results, not great, but good enough by Stopping down the Aperture and a fast enough shutter speed because the moon is brighter than we think it is for the camera's CCD to capture without blowing out the details. Hope that this can get you the right start anyway...

I'm sure there are experts here that would gladly help you out on this subject matter. Do keep posting more.

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the help guys.

I was on tripod using my tamron 100-300 mmwith 3/4 zoom and hit this shot with a shutter speed of 1/4 and f5.6 iso100 and +2 sharpness.

I have a tendency to over-complicate shots so now that you knowthe shot specs feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks guys. :-)
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:11 PM   #6

Bela Lugosi would be proud of you :-)

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:05 PM   #7

I think you did a agood job. That is such an omnimous (I know that is not the spelling) picture. Love to see more shots as you do more refining!:-)
HOKIEGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:40 PM   #8

Try using Sunny 16 exposure for shooting a full moon if you want to get the details on the surface. Eg. F16 iso100 SS 1/100 or F8 iso100 SS 1/200. You can then adjust your shutter speed up or down depending on the exposure you are getting. These settings might not give you much detail in the clouds though, your settings you originally had did a pretty god job of that, so you may have to combine two exposures to get the shot you want. Good Luck.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:43 AM   #9

It's cool!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:04 AM   #10

Nice shot, but unfortunately you will never get the clouds and the moon's surface detail in the one shot.

I read that a full moon is almost as bright as the sun - you can expose for the moon's surface detail (and everything else in the shot will be black) or expose for the clouds (and the moon's surface will look like the sun like your shot), but not for both. This same photography book - Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light", get it, it's brilliant - suggested that most (all?) published photos containing a well exposed moon and a well exposed landscape are actually double exposures or seriously post-processed.

Cheers,
Ollie :-)
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote