Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 19, 2006, 4:20 AM   #1

Hi All!

For some reason I really like this photo... taken last year summer (July 2005) in Romania at a camp for recovered alcoholics that I was a leader at. The balance of foreground grass, tent, then mountains (folding into each other) and sky / clouds struck a good balance with me.

What about you? Any comments / opinions.... it naturally seems to fit the "rule of thirds" (more or less)...

Hope you enjoy this photo... and it helps us to look forward tosummer in a few months... (spring is settling in way too slow here!) :roll:

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 5:01 AM   #2

i quite like to too, the tent just adds the finishing touch to the shot
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:16 AM   #3

Hi Reanimator,

Thanks for your comments. That's what I thought, the balance of colours, foreground,midground and background as WELL as the balanceof "man" and "nature".

I appreciate you looking. Thanks again.

Paul
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:24 AM   #4

That's really eye pleasing view. Maybe a shot of the same view from a little more distance and a little bit crop off from the sky would add some more dramatic value..
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:35 AM   #5

Very nice done...I like the strong colors

and the photo would not be the same if there was no camp house....good choice....:?

Just asking should you place the camp house in some corner or it is better in the middle like you did....

Zak

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:29 AM   #6

Hi Bahadir,

Your comments are thoughtful, thanks for sharing them; and I'm glad you appreciate the photo.

Yes, I see what you mean by your ideas. Well I can't go back and retake the photo for more "distance" (at least not just now!! :-)) but below (in my next reply) I will put a small edit to crop out a bit of the sky... maybe it's better this way? (I was also wondering whether I left a bit too much sky in!)

Again thanks for looking.

Paul
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:32 AM   #7

Hi Zak!

Also, I am glad you enjoyed looking at this landscape photo made with my point and shoot last year. (how's your Canon 350D doing?!)

Similar to you, I was also wondering whether I should also use the rule of thirds to place the tent off centre, so here is my edit (also taking into account Bahadir's comments to crop some sky). I think maybe it's an evenbetter balanced composition this way...

All the best! Thanks for your comments and I hope to see some photos from your new camera soon.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:28 AM   #8

Wery nice I like the" rule of thirds" one more
Gisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:38 AM   #9

Some will be more pleased with your edit. The cropping off from above really works well. Yet, I find the right of the backgroung forest too rich to sacrifice. Maybe you could add some more foreground to the picture in the PS. Grass is an easy pattern to add after all. And try increasing the contrast 10%, I'd say.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:38 PM   #10

Hi Gilsi,

I appreciate your comments and especially that you like the rule of thirds one. Taking into account bahadir's comments also, I have made 2 more "quick edits" and I'll post them here now. This one is the "rule of thirds" one (dedicated to Gisli and his fantastic Iceland landscapes! :G).

Because I think it's true, good to have the rule of thirds applied, BUT also as bahadir says there is some nice area to the right of the tent, I just cloned (moved!) the tent to the left, to keep the "thirds" still happening as well as that tree area. Hope it's an improvement. Let me know!

But I'm not sure if the shadows in the very foreground now are too distracting (next posted below this one, is another edit with grass cloned where the shadow was!)

Your favourite?

Paul

Attached Images