Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:23 AM   #1

This is my very first moon shot taken this morning with the information that I learned from here. Keep in mind I've had my camera less than a week and this is all still very new to me. I was pretty proud of the picture considering it was my first attempt! I do realize that itcould be in focus more soif you have any tips onimproving my shot I would love to hear them.

Oops, I forgot to add this info. Sorry about that.

File Name
Moon 002.jpg
Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot S2 IS
Shooting Date/Time
3/23/2006 5:27:35 AM
Shooting Mode
Manual
Photo Effect
Vivid
Tv (Shutter Speed)
Av (Aperture Value)
Light Metering
Evaluative
ISO Speed
Lens
6.0 - 72.0mm
Focal Length
72.0mm
Digital Zoom
None
IS Mode
Shoot Only
Image Size
415x376
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Continuous AF
File Size
54KB
Drive Mode
Self-timer Operation
Owner's Name

Attached Images

ecx350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:12 PM   #2
VP

Not that bad for a first attempt.

Was this handheld or on a tripod with IS off? Also, did you use a TC for the shot?

I can't qualify as an expert on moon shots (or any other shots.... lol ) but I have had decent luck using F5.6 @1/160 and trying for a focus point toward the area where light meets the dark area to get crater detail.....this is obviously for less than a full moon.

Again, i'm not familiar with the S2 but on my FZ20 I use manual focus assist ( I don't have much luck any other way)
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 7:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Not that bad for a first attempt.

Was this handheld or on a tripod with IS off? Also, did you use a TC for the shot?
Thanks for the pointers, I really need them. I used a tripod and the IS was set for shoot only. I'm not sure what you mean by using a TC. Do you mean a timer? If so then yes, I did use a timer. It just seemed a bit out of focus to me so I'll try focusing like you suggested. I had used the manual focus for the shot and to be honest with you I wasn't sure if I even did it right. LOL!!! That was my first time evenusing manual focus. Again, thanks, I can use all the help I can get!

Cindi

Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:07 PM   #4
VP

Hi Cindi......hope it helps.

By TC I mean telephoto conversion lens, to give you more reach. I use a DCR 1.54x

One thing is to either have a good manual focus ring OR a manual focus assist to lock focus on your subject, so hopefully you can KNOW it's in focus. You can try the settings I mentionedto see how it works for you. Some use a smaller aperture like F8 @1/250. I have seen a range of settings used (some don't work very well for moon shots):-)

Another consideration is EV (exposure value) try -2/3with your settings. Good luck and let us see the next one.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:53 AM   #5

Quote:
By TC I mean telephoto conversion lens, to give you more reach. I use a DCR 1.54x
Ohhhh, ok. No I don't have telephoto lens yet. I should hopefully be getting my lens adapter and UV filter today from lensmate. I've only had the camera a week now so I'm slowly getting and researching what lenses and filters I need. Thanks again for your advice and help!

Cindi