Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 27, 2006, 4:10 PM   #1

Hello all!

Well this will be my last post for this evening / night. Yesterday I went up some Romanian mountains with my fiancee, and we enjoyed battling through the soft (& melting!) snow. There was one peak which caught my attention, and is quite magnificent looking, but it posed a challenge to capture well and stand out, because it was surrounded by lots of other mountains and seemed to loose it's significance when isolated by a camera lens.

However in the end this was the photo of it that I liked the best... even though silly me had forgot that I still had my aperture set on f6.3 (as I had just taken a few candid shots from some distance of my fiancee loosing her shoe in the soft snow!) They are quite funny actually... :lol:

Therefore although I liked the composition between the near pine-tree and the mid-range "other trees" and the hills andTHAT mountain peak in the background, technically this photo wasn't as good as it should have been as I realise I should have shot using f11 or thereabouts. Still I would like to know what you all think.

I didn't get to the top of this mountain, rather as time (and darkness) were against us I only reached the ridge seen to the left of the pine tree. Next time (later in spring maybe) we might visit that place again and hope to get to the top of that mountain peak and get some (hopefully!) good views and photos from there!

Let me know your comments and critiques... or at least I hope you enjoy this landscape photo I'm sharing with you!!

Best wishes to all..

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:21 PM   #2

Yes, you really have some good excuse for your absance in the forum, at the weekend:-)
I almost smelt the strong odour of the pine leaves. The inclination of the hill brings dynamism to the image.
Due to the aparture value issue you mentioned, your shot tends to have the characteristics of portrait(of the pine tree)with a relatively blurring background of trees and the hill. Just out of my like for your photo, I tried to compensate this a little. I hope you don't mind.
Imitations glorify the original only!
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:48 AM   #3

Hi Bahadir!

Indeed a weekend away with one's fiancee warrants no excuse for not being more active on the forum over that time.... glad you agree! :-)

Thanks for your helpful words and constructive edit. Indeed my mistake of forgetting to adjust the aperture value DID make the picture more of a pine-tree portrait than a sharp landscape throughout... but congratulations your edit brought out some more sharpness in the mid and background, well done (and thanks!)

Can I ask what settings did you use (unsharp mask, right)? I did a basic unsharp mask to get some more sharpness but I didn't want to overkill the pine-tree with sharpness... but you did well.

Cheers

Paul
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:39 AM   #4

OK, I had a bit of a play with another photo that I had made of that same mountain peak (this time WITH the correct aperture setting of f11) and without the pine-tree in the foreground... This photo below was actually taken a few minutesBEFORE the photo above (in the betweeen / mean-time, my fiancee had that "I've lost my shoe in the snow" experience!) :-)

Doesthis photodo the mountain justice do you think?

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5

I like Bahadir's tweak of the first photo. Your second one is very nice. I like the slope of the trees in the foreground. The trees make subtle contrasts of color and line against the mountain. Very nice.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:09 PM   #6

I'm glad you like the edit. It was easy enough. I just selected the areas I wanted to sharpen with the magnetic lasso tool (excluding the pine tree of course!) and then applied unsharp mask to these areas at an amount of:%50 Radius:1.0 Treshold:0, if memory serves..
And you are absolutely right about the detoriating effect of an overall unsharp mask on the pine tree.

Your hill shot before your fiance lost her shoe(already became a classical like that of Cindrella :-)) is really appealing. I know from my hiking experience how such sloping forests down the hills causes dizziness in the beholder! The combination of pine trees with leave shading trees whose tones vary due to atmospheric perspective makes a dreamy effect, too.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:26 PM   #7

Thanks LadyhawkVA for your kind words, I'm glad you like the photos posted.

Indeed it's amazing how the trees (and different types of trees) make nice leading contours in front of that mountain.

Have a good day / night!

Paul
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:36 PM   #8

Aha Bahadir, now I understand how you did it. Thanks for sharing your expertise via this advice! I never tried a selective unsharpen mask I guess.... Hmmm!

Actually Tundi my fiancee lost her shoe even BEFORE the "going got tough"... it was just quite sticky snow... the result of sun and temperatures in early spring I guess! However it meant cold and wet feet for her. I walked up the last part of the ridge alone (Tundi's feet were too cold!) and met her back at the car a while later.

Interestingly the ratio of effort and time was about 4 to 1 (much harder going up than coming down). When I was going UP the slope I was fighting against gravity in snow that was just soft enough to make me sink in when climbing, but the same snow was often strong enough to hold me as I scurried down it!

Well, your Cinderella mention made me both want to share the photo with you as well as helped me to think of a suitable title for that photo... (although very much a snapshot... I quite like it as it captured the moment!)... "Snow white Cinderella"! Enjoy!

Bahadir, thanks for looking and commenting, as always very good to read your remarks. :!:

Paul

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:53 PM   #9

Aha, so we are lucky enough to see your fiance, at last!
Quite a pretty photo(due to the sympathic subject!) I'd say. It seems your climb turned out to be a fairy tale in which the gallant prince headed for the steep hills to return with the food of gods to cure the suffering princess..
And about the ratio of effort, this is why we enjoy (literally!!) running down the mountains with thick layer of soil especially after rainy days or heavy snow :-)
But one should know about the geography of the location, well. Because some deep holes between rocks ,by the contribution of creeping bushes, can be piled up by snow and result in hazardous traps!:sad:
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:22 AM   #10

Another real nice one, Paul. I like the various colors and contrasts. Nice composition as well. You've got a beautiful country over there!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote