Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:40 AM   #1

Another scan of an old 35mm slide from my pre-digital days. The day was overcast and misty, and there was huge light contrast in the original shot from the bottom of the falls (very dark) to the top (totally white and washed out sky). Similar contrast challenges to MountainHawk's rainforest photos (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...&forum_id=8). I have used Photoshop layering and gradients to even out the light balance as much as I can.

Ollie :-)

Attached Images

Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:10 AM   #2

Hi Ollie!

I like the photo, it is certainly a hard area to catch by photography the magnificence of the tall, pounding waterfalls! And as you said the huge light contrast (dark rocks, foilage and white water and often blown out sky).

I've been there several times and also climbed to the top a number of times and there is an AMAZING secluded little lake area there, just before the falls start to "fall".

Here are two photos of the last time I was there (Jan 2005). It's interesting to see the same trees still clearly there.

Again thanks for sharing and I hope you appreciate these posts. I'd like to go to Tassie again with my new Canon 350D / XT!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:12 AM   #3

and here's the second shot. I realise my photos are nothing fantastic... but I still thought to share them for a slightly different perspective..

Here we were about half way up and if you look carefully maybe you can see there are a few climbers near the top of the falls. This gives an idea how high the falls are and also how large the trees are!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:44 AM   #4

Thanks Paul, its interesting how your shots provide that sense of scale that mine hasn't got. In order to get the whole falls in one shot, my pic was taken with a 28mm wide angle lens looking almost straight up from the bottom of the falls, resulting in a very compressed sense of distance.

The Tassie scenery is certainly splendid and I often reminisce about the few years I lived there.

Cheers,
Ollie :-)
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5

nice , shame about the burn out sky,s polariser orND filter helps a lot with these kind of shot,s

hope to see more of u !!!!!!!!!!

arend is offline   Reply With Quote