Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:36 PM   #1

is there anything that can be done in PP to correct the blown out clouds?any camera settings that might minimize it?thanks!
Attached Images

drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:07 AM   #2

Hi drewaz,

Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do with completely blown (ie: pure white) clouds. You can make greyscale or coloured pixels lighter or darker, but pixels that are totally black (RGB = 0,0,0) or totally white (255,255,255) will stay black or white no matter how much you adjust levels, histograms, contrast or brightness. The closer a pixel's colour is to black or white, the harder it is to adjust it in PP.

Cheers,
Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:29 AM   #3

thanks for the reply, Ollie. Are there any adjustments with the camera or filters that will make it possible to take a decent photo of white clouds?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4

love the effect of the sun coming through the clouds!,

hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:38 AM   #5

Very nice!! I really like this.

That dark little cloud up in the right corner bugs me though,; keeps pulling my eye over to it.
buddhasghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:57 AM   #6

Drewaz,

I use a half graduated filter when shooting in this condition. You can get them in a couple of different strengths. I Think ND4 and ND6 which will help tone down a frame with two different exposure needs. I had the same problem until I learned about using these filters. I also use a polarizer a good bit but for this situation a graduated filter would be my choice.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:33 PM   #7

It seems there's nothing much to do here except creating your clouds to replace the blown ones...
Never mind! As hull mentioned above, this is really a beautiful shot enhanced by a rich sky with light beams through and over various clous. Also, the silhouette effect really works.
And as I see, all are captured with my old flame s70 which served perfectly well until my son vandalized it and thus destined me to go on with my present a510!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:50 PM   #8

thanks guys for your comments!* I took this picture quite a while ago but also really enjoy looking at it!* I have a polarizer for my current camera but haven't looked at graduated filters ...* one more thing to learn.**thanks again ....* hope everyone has a great weekend.* I'm heading up to Sedona this evening and hope to capture a few good shots.drewaz