Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 10, 2006, 2:14 PM   #1

had first proper flight with kite and camera rig this evening, very hazey and very bright sunshine but wanted to do a full test of all the gear and it worked really well.

a couple of questions to the real good experts on here.....i left cam on full auto, is this the best way? or take a sample light reading and set it to that and set focus on infinity?

when ur 200 foot below the kite aint much u can do apart from steer it about and fire shutter.

anyway here is a pic from today with blown sky, what id love to be able to fix, and seeing as i have a passion for panoramics its just 2 joined up

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 7:34 PM   #2

Is the sky blown or is it just fog or haze on the horizon? By the way, this the first time in a long time that I have seen a pic taken from a kite...makes for many interestinglandscape shots,especially in a photo rich place like the U.K.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 9:56 PM   #3

Considering you can't look through the viewfinder, its a great result Gary. I am intrigued that you let your precious camera gear go up on a kite. I would be too scared that it all might come crashing down. How do you get your camera back to earth without it being dashed to pieces on landing?

Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 3:55 AM   #4

Hey that's really great, in fact I want one too ! :-)

I don't think you have much choice on the exposure front except to let the camera get on with it: normally for pano's I use full manual control and make sure that all the shots are taken on the same settings, but then if the light changes you're stuffed !

Excellent, and really different, keep it up (and the kite too :lol: ).

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5

kanji.........thinking back it could was very hazey yesterday, it could well be that to blame more than the sky been blown out

ollie@oz.......its not my "precious" camera no more, thats my olympus e300, what i use for the kite is my old olympus c4040, every possible safety thing as been done to keep camera safe, but nothing can protect u from a line break, but im using very strong line !!! its relatively safe, but still the first test flight was a bit nervous !

John......yeah i do similar to yourself with panos but had little choice but to let it be on auto,the lens on the c4040 is very bright f1.8 but was thinking of having aperture priority set a bit higher, to be on the safe side as ur never quite sure what lens will focus on.

i may get a add on wide angle for the camera too, its possible to control the zoom by radio control but i see no need to zoom in, id like to try get more in the shot by been wider

thanks for comments as allways

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote