Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 30, 2006, 5:37 PM   #1

Hello all! Long time no see.... I've been travelling for work, but now back "home" here in Romania. While away (part of the time in UK) I bought 2 polarizers for my lenses (58mm for my Canon 350D / Rebel 18-55mm kit lens and my new Canon 100-300mm telezoom lens) as well as a 72mm for my "walk around" 28-135mm Canon lens.

So I decided to try them out..... well I HAD to! :-) So here are a few photos of a Romanian fortress I passed on my way back from visiting my fiancee. It is situated high on a sloping hill above an old village called Saschiz, and it took me a while to make my way along a muddy path and through undergrowth to get to it.

IMHO the polarizing filters did a GREAT job in bringing out the fresh late spring greens and the blue sky! I can see this getting addictive in other landscape photography later in the summer....!

First photo is of a view looking up to the fortress when I was about 10 minutes walk from it (zoomed in a bit).

Hope you like it! (and let me know any tips / comments about using polarizer filters!)

Thanks

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 5:39 PM   #2

and this second photo is of the fortress when I got inside (of course through a huge gaping hole in the back wall!) Looks like (or well I could IMAGINE it looks like...) it was blasted through with a cannon or something many years ago!

There was no one at this fortress except for lots of buzzing insects .... so it was very interesting and quite secluded.

Please do let me know your thoughts / feedback. All the best!

Paul
Attached Images

Old May 30, 2006, 6:19 PM   #3

He he he I have just detected some increase in the signs of life around and there you've returned Paul! To find the ruins, back to the ruins where you left in Romania...
Ah, the polarizers' work is noticable indeed.
Both shots are great, yet I'd prefer a smaller sky in the first shot to accentuate the tower and the defence wall.
But I understand of course... It is the effect of your filters on the spring leaves, the sky and the clouds which you mean to display so triumphantly!!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 8:40 PM   #4

Hi Paul, nice to see you back! Polarizer looks like it is doing it's job, I got to get one of those!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 1:17 AM   #5

Hi bahadir!

Thanks for the warm welcome back! Indeed I came back where I left off (Romanian fortress ruins). This fortress is about half anhour's drive from the previous one I had posted.

Your comments are appreciated. Indeed I think I was too generous with the sky, albeit that I love the gorgeous blues (and greens) a polarizer can accentuate! :-)

All the best, bahadir!

Paul

PS You posted at 02:19 (my time, Romanian time), and I see you're online again (09:14 Romanian time). Do you EVER sleep? (or enough!) :blah:
Old May 31, 2006, 1:20 AM   #6

Greetings Bob!

Thanks also for your kind words. I enjoy using the polarizer, though I dare say I need to learn some techniques/ tips with it still. As I've seen it makes a big difference which angle the sun is at in relation to the photo composition, and of course needing to rotate the polarizer to get the best results.

I might see if I can find some more help / information about this somewhere on the web.

Well your photos are fantastic withOUT a polarizer too, I think you're a great landscape photographer... all the best if you do get a polarizer too. (*hope I didn't make you desire one toomuch :lol

Paul
Old May 31, 2006, 1:56 AM   #7

You'll always find me standing behind my theory that four-five hours sleep is ample! After all, aren't we all going to sleep more than enough when the time comes :-)

Ah, at times I do not even bother to turn off my computer, and let work like diesel engine!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 11:03 AM   #8

some nice shots, Paul. I love old ruins like that. your polarizer definitely works, but in these particular scenes, it almost seems to oversaturate the colors... i bet exploring those old castles is fun... and a real "hands-on" lesson in history as well!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 4:42 PM   #9

Bahadir,

You have an interesting theory about sleep... and as I see you seem to practise and stick to your theory, as all good scientists do! :-) My twin brother needs about 10 hours sleep each night, I survive often on about 5 hours a day (or night). So we sort of balance each other to an "average" of about 7.5!

Happy chugging away like a diesel engine.

Paul
Old May 31, 2006, 4:44 PM   #10

Squirl,

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

I agree the polarizer does bring out a lot of saturation in the colours, particularly the blues and greens (which it is supposed to). maybe I got a bit "polarizer happy" and with some post processing (bit of saturation there too) I overdid it....

Still I'll live n learn. Thanks for your thoughts.

Indeed exploring old castles / ruins IS fun, I find there are a lot of deserted places here in Romania to find out about....

Paul