Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1

I can't begin to tell you what a rewarding trip it was to visit this WWII legend and the recovery ship for Apollo 11 and 12. To see the looks on my boys' faces as we got a little taste of history.... well, it was memorable, to say the least.

My thirteen year old Carrier Captain:

My thirteen year old Mini Gunner:

Learning a little about flight ops:

Shot of the boys viewing San Francisco from the USS Hornet's fantail:

My youngest thought this was a neat photo-op. What do you think?

logrhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Nice pictures Logrhythmic. You and the youngsters were standing on and visiting a lot of history on thatcarrier. All you lacked was a photo of the flight deck. That way it would make me see what the B-25 pilots were looking at in April, 1942. :-)

I have a 1/500 scale model of the USS Hornetfrom Danbury Mint with the miniature B-25s lined up on the flight deck seemingly waiting for history to made.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 6:20 AM   #3

Well, here's a shot of the flight deck. You are referring to USS Hornet, CV8 which was sunk October 6, 1942 during the battle of Santa Cruz. This Hornet, CV12 was built in 16 months after the sinking of CV8 (by as many women as men). Here are a few highlights:
  • [align=left] For 16 continuous months she was in action in the forward areas of the Pacific combat zone, sometimes within 40 miles of the Japanese home islands. [/align] [/*]
  • [align=left]Under air attack 59 times, she was never hit.[/align] [/*]
  • [align=left] Her aircraft destroyed 1410 Japanese aircraft, only ESSEX exceeded this record.[/align] [/*]
  • [align=left] Her air groups destroyed or damaged 1,269,710 tons of enemy shipping.[/align] [/*]
  • [align=left] 10 HORNET pilots attained "Ace in a Day" status. [/align] [/*]
  • [align=left]30 of 42 VF-2 Hellcat pilots were aces. [/align] [/*]
  • [align=left]72 enemy aircraft shot down in one day.[/align] [/*]
  • [align=left]255 aircraft shot down in a month.[/align] [/*]
  • [align=left]Supported nearly every Pacific amphibious landing after March 1944.[/align] [/*]
  • [align=left] Scored the critical first hits in sinking the super battleship YAMATO. [/align] [/*]
  • [align=left]In 1945 launched the first strikes against Tokyo since the 1942 Doolittle Raid.[/align][/*]
Attached Images
logrhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote