Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:51 PM   #1
Default Family picture from around 1916

I recently discovered an Internet site that has records going back well into the 19th century - and discovered a page that had details - from an 1881 census - about my grandfather - then aged 26. He died before I was born, so I never even set eyes on him.

Reading about his details in 1881 when he was still so young suddenly felt - in a way - creepy. My own father wasn't born until 10 years after that.

But it made me rummage through an old box. I found a picture of him and two of my uncles and (third from the left) my dad. It was taken on the family farm and my best guess is that it was taken in 1916. I used to think of my grandfather as a forbidding sort of old person, but now that I'm a good deal older than he was when the picture was taken he looks really interesting - someone I'd like to sit down with and have a long conversation. I was always told that he was quite a character and looking at the picture again reinforces this feeling.
Attached Images

Last edited by Herb; Jan 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM. Reason: Clarification of date of picture
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:00 PM   #2

G'day Herb

Well done mate ~ your description / feelings via the image are spot-on
I can see lots in this image - the stool & buckets suggest milking-the-cow time, the fashions tell lots too

Sometimes I feel like 'talking' to [these] people and asking about them & their world to see how they felt & reacted to the 1001 things around them

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:35 PM   #3

I like to look at photo's from people long gone, and trying to image the life they lived, also when driving here in the Australian Outback, I often start to image as the land was before with just the Aborigines around, so with this dreaming of mine, the long drives are never boring, apart from the beatiful colours all around, even when the land is sometimes quite harsh.

Of course, all this "dreaming of mine" is, when it is not me, who does the driving.

Griddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:16 PM   #4

Great photo. I love genealogy almost as much as photography (managed to trace my ancestors as far back as 1621 (just to give you an idea, it was 5 years after Shakespeare died).

I hope you don't mind, but I tidied up your photograph a bit (I also like to do photo restoration)

my website

my facebook
shieldz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Nice find, care to post the link to the site. 1916 was the year my Dad was born, I'll show him this picture at home tonight.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote