Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:04 AM   #1
Default Help! Disk "unreadable..initialize"

I've had a great deal of computer problems in the past week, ended up having to to replace my hard drive and reinstal my system (Mac 0S 9.2). When I put my Microdrive in my Lexar Firewire reader tonight I got that dreaded message "Disk unreadable - Do you want to initialize" I checked my extentions, everything seems on, so I reinstalled the soft ware, same results. "Disk unreadable - Do you want to initialize"
I tried 4 other disks with the same results (the cards seem fine in the camera) It seems odd 4 cards would all of a sudden go at once, so I tried initializing one of the disks with old pics on it thinking it still wouldn't be able to read it, but I was wrong, it seemed fine after initializing - I'm baffled, and I don't want to loose vacation pics on my micro - Help!
Todd :roll:
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2003, 3:53 AM   #2

I don't run a Mac, but after what you said, I'd avoid playing with my expensive drives in the reader, or doing anything like a file move which will do a write back. Until what sounds like an interface question is sorted. Use a cheap card for this. Have you got a cheap USB reader you can try? It's not clear what the message 'initialise' means. If it means the card and is writing to it, that's worrying, but if it's saying 'my re-built OS needs to know something about the media' then that's probably OK.

Does your reader read Smartmedia? If it does you can put a write protect tab on it and see if 'initialise' bombs when it can't write back - if that's what it's doing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote