Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:33 PM   #21

Well, a big round of applause goes out to JimC. :-D

I sent him the card and after some arduous work, he rescued 575 shots!

A testament to his abilities.

Here are a few of the shots that owe their existence to JimC:

Tree Swallow

White-eyed Vireo

Tree Swallows

Canada Goose

Thanks again JimC
Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:34 AM   #22
Administrator

No problem. I'm glad I could help out. BTW, don't try to use that card again. It's definitely in bad shape. It didn't want to be recognized at all part of the time, and it seemed to do a little better warm versus cool. So, I left it in the reader built into my wife's laptop and made multiple passes against it until I got a reasonably good disk image from it.

The command with ddrescue is just telling it to read from your card (/dev/mmcblkop1 in my reader) and write an image file that's identical to it called sdimage2. The third parameter is for a log file (sdlog2 is what I told it to use). That allows it to go over and over the card without rereading areas that it already copied OK (and also lets you interrupt it and restart it again later if needed).

That way, any image recovery program only has to deal with file or fat corruption issues, not hard errors from a failing component (since you won't have any hard errors after you get a disk image copy of the failing media and run recovery programs against it). For example, I used photorec for image recovery after I got a good copy of the card using ddrescue.

# ddrescue /dev/mmcblk0p1 sdimage2 sdlog2

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued: 0 B, errsize: 0 B, errors: 0
Current status
rescued: 1722 MB, errsize: 308 MB, current rate: 700 kB/s
ipos: 1087 MB, errors: 44583, average rate: 104 kB/s
rescued: 1723 MB, errsize: 308 MB, current rate: 1713 B/s
ipos: 1088 MB, errors: 44570, average rate: 102 kB/s
opos: 1088 MB
Interrupted by user

[I interrupted it after it had gone through the card a couple of times, and took a look at this image and it still had too many errors] So, I just restarted it and let it continue making passes]

rescued: 1723 MB, errsize: 308 MB, errors: 43066
Current status
rescued: 2010 MB, errsize: 20251 kB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 1435 MB, errors: 39553, average rate: 164 kB/s
opos: 1435 MB

[After getting a reasonably good image of it (the last pass had most errors concentrated in a couple of logical areas on the card), I just ran photorec against the image file (sdimage2 in this case), recovering 575 jpeg files]

# photorec /mnt/sdb1/sdimage2

PhotoRec 6.5, Data Recovery Utility, October 2006
Christophe GRENIER <[email protected]>
http://www.cgsecurity.org
Please wait...
Disk /mnt/sdb1/sdimage2 - 2031 MB / 1937 MiB - CHS 247 255 63 (RO), sector size=512

PhotoRec exited normally.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:56 AM   #23
Administrator

P.S.

You can do this kind of thing yourself using a free Linux distro with this kind of software already installed (ddrescue and photorec).

You'll just need to understand the way you reference your drives. You can use the command fdisk -l to see a list of drives and partitions and how they are referenced You can use the command mount to see a list of mounted partitions so you can save the files where you want. I'm using SimplyMEPIS 7.0 on my wife's laptop and my desktop, and if you click on the home icon at the bottom of the screen and go to Storage Media, you can click on a Windows partition (NTFS, FAT32, etc.) and it will automatically mount it for read and write access (so you can save the files to where Windows will have access to them).

Links to download the free Linux distro I'm using right now (scroll down and you'll see them):

http://www.mepis.org/mirrors

Note that SimplyMEPIS 7.0 is about a 700MB download (and I'd get the 32 bit version for best compatibility). It will run from a CD (you burn the .iso file you download to a CD and boot into it). So, you wouldn't have to install it to use it (although it runs much faster from a hard disk install). I've got my wife's laptop setup in a dual boot with Vista and SimplyMEPIS 7.0, and my desktop is setup with XP Pro and SimplyMEPIS 7.0.

Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:03 PM   #24

Awesome shots! that is so cool that Jim was able to retrieve them...way to go Jim!
photowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:45 AM   #25

Default SD card not in media list

Hi Jim, You mast be the master of knowledge in this forum. Every other post got your answer in it.

I got a SD card that would not be recognized in Windows device manager, and in Linux by typing fdisk -l. Photorec wold also not see it in media list.

If I put a good card in fdisk -lt will see it as /dev/sdb1. Is there any chance of using ddrescue to make a image of the memory card?

Filip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
No problem. I'm glad I could help out. BTW, don't try to use that card again. It's definitely in bad shape. It didn't want to be recognized at all part of the time, and it seemed to do a little better warm versus cool. So, I left it in the reader built into my wife's laptop and made multiple passes against it until I got a reasonably good disk image from it.

The command with ddrescue is just telling it to read from your card (/dev/mmcblkop1 in my reader) and write an image file that's identical to it called sdimage2. The third parameter is for a log file (sdlog2 is what I told it to use). That allows it to go over and over the card without rereading areas that it already copied OK (and also lets you interrupt it and restart it again later if needed).

That way, any image recovery program only has to deal with file or fat corruption issues, not hard errors from a failing component (since you won't have any hard errors after you get a disk image copy of the failing media and run recovery programs against it). For example, I used photorec for image recovery after I got a good copy of the card using ddrescue.

rescued: 0 B, errsize: 0 B, errors: 0
Current status
rescued: 1722 MB, errsize: 308 MB, current rate: 700 kB/s
ipos: 1087 MB, errors: 44583, average rate: 104 kB/s
rescued: 1723 MB, errsize: 308 MB, current rate: 1713 B/s
ipos: 1088 MB, errors: 44570, average rate: 102 kB/s
opos: 1088 MB
Interrupted by user

[I interrupted it after it had gone through the card a couple of times, and took a look at this image and it still had too many errors] So, I just restarted it and let it continue making passes]

rescued: 1723 MB, errsize: 308 MB, errors: 43066
Current status
rescued: 2010 MB, errsize: 20251 kB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 1435 MB, errors: 39553, average rate: 164 kB/s
opos: 1435 MB

[After getting a reasonably good image of it (the last pass had most errors concentrated in a couple of logical areas on the card), I just ran photorec against the image file (sdimage2 in this case), recovering 575 jpeg files]

# photorec /mnt/sdb1/sdimage2

PhotoRec 6.5, Data Recovery Utility, October 2006
Christophe GRENIER <[email protected]>
http://www.cgsecurity.org
Please wait...
Disk /mnt/sdb1/sdimage2 - 2031 MB / 1937 MiB - CHS 247 255 63 (RO), sector size=512

PhotoRec exited normally.
deridere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:09 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deridere View Post
I got a SD card that would not be recognized in Windows device manager, and in Linux by typing fdisk -l. Photorec wold also not see it in media list.

If I put a good card in fdisk -lt will see it as /dev/sdb1. Is there any chance of using ddrescue to make a image of the memory card?
The card will need to be recognized using fdisk -l before you can make a disk image copy of it.

Sometimes, using a different card reader (or USB port) can help. Sometimes, the temperature of a card can make a difference, too.

But, if it's not being recognized as a device at all, regardless of what you try, then the controller in it is probably bad.

There are services that can recover data from one (by bypassing the controller in the card and reading the data directly from the NAND flash, as long as the memory chips themselves are not damaged. With an SDHC or CompactFlash card, they can usually remove the NAND Flash chips and use a NAND Flash Reader with them. With Micro SDHC cards, the process is more complex, where they may need to grind down the cover over the PCB and solder hair thin wires directly to the PCB using a Microscope to help out with that process in order to read the data from the NAND Flash and reconstruct it using specialized software.

Here's a video showing how they do that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jrz...ature=youtu.be

Recoverfab in Germany is the company I'd suggest for that purpose if you decide you really must have the images from it

http://recoverfab.com/