Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1

Hello, my friend is very upset because she cannot retrieve her Christmas Eve & Christmas pictures off of her Compact Flash 256mb card. The camera says "memory card error/no image displayed". When you go into the menu for the card, thecamera shows that the card is full. I tried connecting her camera tomy printer to read the pictures, but again, shows that there aren't any images avail. I put in a different card to see if it was the camera or the card error and the different card showed images just fine. Any ideas of how or where she might be able to go to try to retrieve the images? Or does she just have to assume that the card is unfixable? Thanks for any advice that you can share.
labbymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:57 PM   #2

Since the pictures on the CF are really just files you might try the following. Remove the card from the camera and place it in the card reader of your computer. Cancel/Close out of any programs/help screens that may show up. Open My Computer and right click on the removable drive that is the memory card. Select Properties from the shortcut menu. Click the Tools tab and the the Check Now... button under Error checking... . A dialog boxwill appear, place a checkmark the line "Automatically fix file system errors." and click the Start button. This should fix the problem file or at least allow access to the rest of the pictures on the card.

These instructions are for Windows Me/2000/XP.

If this fails I suspect that the pictures are lost although there is, according to some other posts some freeware programs that are specific to picture file recovery. I haven't evaluated any so can't comment.

If you recover the photos or give up as lost forever you can probably reformat the CF in the camera and use it again.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote