Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:56 PM   #1

I'm looking for a high-speed 4GB SD card for my Nikon D80. In order to go 4GB, I was looking at SDHC (SD High Capacity) cards.

Research on the Net revealed that SDHC cards come in various "Classes" with the following sustained write speeds:

Class 2 - 2MB/sec
Class 4 - 4MB/sec
Class 6 - 6MB/sec

Also, SDHC cards need a new USB2.0 card reader (rated SDHC) and may only be recognized as 2GB SD cards in some legacy hardware causing corrupt data and even data loss.

See following:

However, the Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD card has a write speed of 20MB/sec which is way faster than the new SDHC cards??????

Has anyone tried an SDHC card? Which one? How did it perform?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:07 AM   #2

I haven't tried one yet but Sandisk now makes their Ultra 2 in a 4GB SDHC card.
Amazon has it complete with card reader for $99. I use the Sandisk Ultra 2 2GB and they work great. They are fast, 9mbs I think.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:49 PM   #3

Personally I wouldn't buy an SDHC card until there are more support for the product. Your camera might support it but lets say you take it to someone a print shop that might not support it or a home printer at home.

Also the speed isn't really that fast compaired to some of the standard SD card out there.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote