Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Default 1x256MB or 2x128MB Memory ?

I have just bought a new Digital still camera & am looking to purchase some additional memory.

I am looking to buy 256MB's extra, but am not sure if I should go for 2x128MB sticks or 1x256MB's.

Does anyone have any comments?

aemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:18 AM   #2

It depends on which Sony camera you have. Sony cameras made before 2003 except the F717 can NOT use the new Memory Stick Pro cards (256MB, 512MB, 1GB). This is why Sony developed the Memory Stick Select which is actually two 128MB sticks in one, it has a switch to select Bank 1 or Bank 2 of memory. It really isn't any handier than having two 128MB sticks because you have to stop, pull the card out and flip a switch - it's just as easy to pull the card out and stick in another 128MB card...

But if you have a new 2003 Sony Cybershot camera then you can use the higher capacity sticks. It's easier to have one big card because you don't need to worry about swapping it out or losing one. But of course if that card fails then all of your pics could possibly be down the drain. I have heard of very few failures of solid state memory cards and in many cases the files can be recovered by readily available utilities.

See my page on flash memory cards for more info:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote