Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 21, 2003, 9:20 PM   #1
Default MMC or SD ???

I have a Kodak DX6340 digital camera. It says I can use MMC or SD memory. I don't know how the 2 compare.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:46 AM   #2

In a camera like that Kodak it will make little difference. Physically they are identical, internally the SD card was designed to be able to hold copyrighted music and such. In the digicam world the SD card is going to be the more popular format with most makers shipping an SD card with the camera rather than a MMC card.

SD cards are available in larger capacities, 512MB now and soon to 1GB. The Lexar brand SD cards are very fast compared to most all of the other brands. It doesn't make the camera function any faster but it does make a difference when downloading the data via a fast USB 2.0 card reader. I clocked Lexar SD cards at about 5-6 times the transfer speed of current SanDisk SD cards.

Check out my info page for flash cards:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 6:35 PM   #3

Thanks Steve for the very informative reply. You answered all the questions I had in mind.

I appreciate it.

PS. You have a very nice and informative web site. I enjoyed reading the articles!
Murf is offline   Reply With Quote