Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:06 AM   #1

I'm about to purchase a new SD card for my D50....but now i'm seeing the 4GB SD Cards labeled SDHC....how do i know it would work for my Nikon D50. I JUST bought a 2GB last month, and i have to take some photos tonight of a friend's show performance. Where can i check to see if the 4GB DHC would work for me....
Ron Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:33 AM   #2

I've seen reports of newer cards 4GB cards working OK, as long as you don't try to format them in the camera (the current firmware will not format a card that's larger than 2GB). But, I don't know what your risk of corruption would be using them.

If the hardware is compatible, I'd expect them to come out with a firmware update at some point to support SDHC. But, there could also be a hardware limitation in the camera preventing it. Only time will tell.

Personally, I wouldn't risk using a 4GB card in one (but, again, I've seen others report that they work as long as you don't try to format one in the camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3

The format is a change from Fat 16 to Fat 32 and some cameras will not recognize the new card
It also is PC download only as I read it so you will need a new reader and a PC or a Mac with VPC or Intel chip with Windows 2000 or XP
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote