Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 4, 2007, 7:06 PM   #1

I moved up from a Canon A80 to Canon Rebel XTi, which I have not used much yet. Would like to get some new CF cards in larger capacities. I'm in the camp that uses somewhat smaller cards--would like to get a few 2 GB rather than a 4 or 8 GB.

Reading the posts here and the link to Rob G's testing reports noticeably absent from my standpoint are cards made by Crucial. I've been using those for years and always had good luck with them. One reason I like them is that all Crucial cards come with a lifetime guarantee.

Has anyone used Crucial cards with the Canon Rebel XTi?

Also, any advantage using a Type II card over a Type I? [I've always used Type I in my Canon A80.]

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

--dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2007, 9:05 PM   #2

As to Crucial, you'll need to wait for someone else to comment.

But as to Type I vs. Type II,thedifferenceis packaging only. First, I'm pretty certain that all flash memory CF cards are Type I; Type II CF cards are for other kinds of devices. The most common Type II device for photographers is the MicroDrives. These are actually tiny hard disk drives that fit in the CF card, but because of the physical thickness of the drive, it wouldn't fit in a Type I slot.

In addition, CF card slots are used for a lot more than memory. A number of companies make GPS antennae for PDAs that work with personal navigation software. And before all PDAs had WiFi and Bluetooth built in, you could add them via a CF card. There are also digicams that you can add to your PDA via a CF Card. These are all devices that digicam users would not have come across, but that use CF card slots nonetheless. And many of them are (or were) too big to fit in a Type I slot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 8:22 AM   #3

Thanks for informative reply regarding Type I vs Type II. I was under the mistaken impression that Type II represented a new generation, i.e., an improvement.

Regarding Crucial, I've always bought memory for my PCs from them; my guess is that since they don't sell their CFs on Amazon, Fry's etc., they're less common/popular.

Crucial does not make the claims SanDisk and others do regarding speed and, further, claim that many manufacturers tend to overstate the real speeds in practical use [which I certainly find pretty easy to believe].

I need to purchase new cards for my Canon Rebel XTi. I do plan to shoot @ least some of the time in RAW, so I do want the fastest that the Canon can use. Thinking of the SanDisk Extreme III or Ultra II--though I'm thinking the Extreme might be overkill.

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote