Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:01 PM   #1
Default Card Error

I read the messages on card errors on this site, but the majority was concerning the loss of images. I did a no-no and attempted to format my smart media card on my computer because of a persistent error stating that the card needs to be formatted. I formatted once in the Minolta 7hi and still received the error. Now, the card reports an error in the camera and I can no longer format it. Will the software [i]smprep.exe also repair the card? My OS is XP.
duffer2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:34 PM   #2
Default format again

I came on to this site today to try to solve nearly the exact same problem. I'm glad to say that after reading a couple of other posts I have solved it.
I have a minolta dimage 7. It uses compact flash not smart media so I can't be complete sure this is the correct solution for sm.
In windows XP when you format your card the operating system defaults to FAT32. In my case I changed it to FAT and formatted again. Then placed the card back into my camera and formatted once again. The camera was able to use the card formatted in FAT which is 16 bit but I formatted with the camera just to be certain that the card was exactly how the camera wanted it.
Good luck with yours.
GlennG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 8:57 PM   #3
Default To Glen

Glen, thanks. I did get the card to work by changing to FAT. I also bought the Dazzle compact Flash reader...sorry, it was not the smart media that I mistakenly had referred to. I couldn't fint the software, smprep.exe that was mentioned on the site. Everything is working fine now....Jerry
duffer2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 5:57 AM   #4

Duffer....at least you bought the right reader. My Dazzle came with a CD which had the utils on it plus their CD writer software for playing pics in a dvd player. It was a few pounds more - but well worth the extra. As far as I know, their utils work across their range.

The FAT32 format is the big hole everybody falls into. Oh how I wish cam makers would include a low level physical format option like MP3 players. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote