Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:49 PM   #1

Just curious as to which of the 3 most common memory cards offers a higher speed? I am talking about the standard SD, XD & Memory Stick Pro Duo cards, not any of the Ultra II's or anything like that. I've heard XD cards are slower, so why is it that they are traditionally more expensive than SD. I'm guessing that's due to SD being so universal now-a-days? Also between brands, as far as SanDisk SD, PNY SD, Kingston SD etc...Is there an actual speed difference in any of the standard SD cards even tho' they are different brands? And what is the exact speeds of each of these 3 memory cards? 5mbs? Thanx in advance.
DIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:57 PM   #2

Actually, the most common memory cards are CompactFlash (CF) and SecureDigital (SD). The Extreme Digital (xD) and Memory Stick flash memory cards are only used in products made by a few companies. xD cards are mostly only used in Olympus and Fuji devices, whileMemory Sticks are mostly only used in Sony devices.

Because CF and SD cards are more widely used, they are available in the highest capacities, and the fastest write speeds sooner, and are frequently cheaper. Other formats are for narrower markets, so they cost more to manufacture.

And, yes, there are speed differences between different products and different brands, but the speed also depends on the device the card is in. There are several components that affect the apparent speed of a memory card, any one of which might be the throughput bottleneck.

Rob Galbraith's CF/SD Performance Database[ http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007] shows the performance of various brands and types of flash memory products in various digital cameras. This performance database shows thatthe fastest cards are usually among the fastest in every camera, but will perform differently in different cameras.

And while there are a number of different ways of testing the speed of flash memory cards, there is no accepted standard that everyone uses. That's why Rob Galbraith's CF/SD Performance Databaseis so useful. He did all the tests, and he did them all the same way, so his results are consistent and free of bias.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:21 PM   #3

In my Fuji S-9100 the xD cards eat 2.5 to 3x the battery power that my Compact Flash Cards do. I am comparing a 1GB H Series Fuji xD card with a 2GB Sandisc Ultra II CF card. Speed seams to be that the CF is just slightly faster than the xD card but not by much.

As for the most common cards SD and CF are the most common and the most sold cards. It also seems like 1 and 2GB are now the most common sizes found and sold in stores

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:57 AM   #4

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
In my Fuji S-9100 the xD cards eat 2.5 to 3x the battery power that my Compact Flash Cards do. I am comparing a 1GB H Series Fuji xD card with a 2GB Sandisc Ultra II CF card. Speed seams to be that the CF is just slightly faster than the xD card but not by much.

As for the most common cards SD and CF are the most common and the most sold cards. It also seems like 1 and 2GB are now the most common sizes found and sold in stores

dave
How is it that the memory card would effect your battery life? I could maybe see if it was a huge difference in speed but as you stated, it's not that big of a difference you notice. I'm not doubting you, just trying to understand the reasoning...And thanx TCav for the explaination, that helped a little.

As example, SD Ultra II cards advertise 10mb write speeds if I'm not mistaken. What would a standard SD card be capable of? I know it would depend on the device but how much faster are we usually talking? Twice as fast or not that dramatic?
DIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:57 PM   #5

DIGuy wrote:
Quote:
As example, SD Ultra II cards advertise 10mb write speeds if I'm not mistaken. What would a standard SD card be capable of? I know it would depend on the device but how much faster are we usually talking? Twice as fast or not that dramatic?
According to Rob Galbraith's CF/SD Performance Database, a SanDisk Ultra II SDCard is 2 to 3 times faster than a standard SanDisk SD Card in Canon 1D dSLRs, but less than 1.5 times faster in a Nikon D50 and2 times faster in a Nikon D80.

The difference is the throughput of the support chips in the camera. These are the other components in the system that limit the throughput.

And Rob Galbraith's CF/SD Performance Database acknowledges that SandDisk's standard cards have gotten faster over time, but never approach the speed of the Ultra II.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:00 PM   #6

I was taking battery life not speed of the card. I can't explain it except that when I am shooting to an xD card I get 75 shots per set of 2400mha batteries but almost 200 for the Compact Flash Card for the same set of fully charged batteries. One of my tech friends tells me that CF tend to use the least amount of battery power of all the major cards within cameras (NOT SURE if he is correct). I can underatand why you may bot believe but believe me that is the way it is on my camera. Also it is interesting to note that in my old Fuji S5100 I used to get almost 180-200 shots per set of batteries to the same xD card. The camera only used xD cards.

As for speed my Sandisc Ultra II CF card reads at 9MB per second or a claimed speed of 60x. I also have a pqi brand CF card that is 100x speed. The 100x speed card seems to be just a tad faster than my H series (Fuji brand) xD cards (when the camera does stop shooting after a rapid series of pictures to let the card writing catch up the xD card take bout 1 second longer than the CF to go from black screen to the ability to keep shooting.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:20 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
--xD cards are mostly only used in Olympus and Fuji devices, whileMemory Sticks are mostly only used in Sony devices.
--
Do any other companies support xD cards in their cameras?

I just bought a 2 GB xD card, just to find out that my current cameras max. card capacity is 512 MB, now I'm thinking about buying a small point-and-shoot camera which would use xD cardsbut would like to compare between many brands..

sqxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:20 PM   #8

sqxo wrote:
Quote:
Do any other companies support xD cards in their cameras?
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD_Card:

"xD cards are used in Olympus and Fujifilm digital cameras and Olympus digital voice recorders; Fujifilm also made an MP3 player that used the cards."