Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:16 PM   #1

URGENT ANSWER PLEASE

I'm on the road (Antigua Guatemala) for some time. My camera is showing me this message (Error Memory Card) from time to time. It is then not functioning. I took it twice to the Canon repair place in Guatemala Ciudad. Each time they tell me "my camera is perfect"…

Can anyone tell me what could be the REAL problem, so next time I go there (a very dangerous city), I could tell them EXACTLY what they have to do.

Thanks a lot for helping me.
jean.pierre.dodge@gmail.com
AlegreViajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:06 PM   #2

Off the top of my head, I'd say that you probably haven't removed and inserted the flash memory card. That can cause oxidation to accumulate around the contacts on the card and in the camera. This is especially true in humid environments.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera. I think you need to remove and re-insert the card. You may want to clean the SD card contacts with a pencil eraser, but this probably isn't necessary.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 9:20 PM   #3

I trust the camera shop formatted the card in the camera. If they didn't you should. It should be a menu item. If the card has been in the camera since you bought it TCav could be right.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:57 AM   #4

Thanks a lot TCav, slipe,

I have 3 memory cards, the 3 were giving me the same message "Memory Card Error". But out of patien with all this (I'm travelling and need my camera every day) I simply spay some medical alcohol (little spay bottle) I have in my first aid kit... I inserted and removed many time one of the cars... I finaly got rid of the message. I don't think the Canon Shop did a good cleaning job. They forgot to clean 'behing the ears". :idea:
AlegreViajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:15 PM   #5

AlegreViajero wrote:
Quote:
simply spay some medical alcohol (little spay bottle) I have in my first aid kit... I inserted and removed many time one of the cars... I finaly got rid of the message.
Stop using the alcohol. It won't help, and it may harm. If it's not 100% pure, 200 proof, ethyl alcohol (Medical alcohol is not pure alcohol. In the US, 200 proof alcohol is only available in liquor stores.), it willleave a residue on the contacts, contributing to your problem. And any kind of alcohol could damage the card's housing, not to mention the camera's card slot, if the alcohol hasn't evaporated before you insert the card into the camera. And alcohol and electricity don't get along well together, which, while it may not have caused your problem, certainly wouldn't help it.

The best way to clean those contacts is with a pencil eraser. Just rub the edge of an eraser along each contact a couple of times, and clear the remaining particles of the eraser with a small brush (like a lens cleaning brush) so the particles of the eraser don't accumulate in the camera.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:29 PM   #6

Well, there was a thing at this URL: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...2&id=27465

If that's your error you could get compensation/a free repair.
purplewowies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:04 PM   #7
DDM

:-) I have suffered from the S400 memory card error (and E50) for some time. I recently read a fix for the S400 memory card error, and it worked immediately for me. Simply hold down your menu button for several seconds until the S400 asks if you want to "Reset settings to default?" Select OK. You should now be able to re-format your memory card using the S400, using the "Format?" function under the Menu "Setup" tab. Once you have re-formatted the card using the S400 format function, you should be able to take pictures again.

I tried many other fixes with no luck. The key is re-setting your camera back to it's default settings and then re-formatting your memory card using the S400 format function.

This flat out worked for me!!!

DDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:15 PM   #8
DDM

I have suffered from the S400 memory card error (and E50) for some time. I recently read a fix for the S400 memory card error, and it worked immediately for me. Simply hold down your menu button for several seconds until the S400 asks if you want to "Reset settings to default?" Select OK. You should now be able to re-format your memory card using the S400, using the "Format?" function under the Menu "Setup" tab. Once you have re-formatted the card using the S400 format function, you should be able to take pictures again.

I tried many other fixes with no luck. The key is re-setting your camera back to it's default settings and then re-formatting your memory card using the S400 format function.

DDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:42 AM   #9
pmc

Hi - Thanks for the info. I was having the same issue with my Canon Powershot S400 & I found you on Google. I came across a place that said all you need to do is (believe it or nor) violently shake the camera by its strap a few times, turn it on & off a few times & the problem is fixed! I try it for the heck of it (skeptical I must say - since when does anything free work), low & behold - it worked! Read here scrolling down to the 3rd entry by E Yu: http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending
pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 3:27 PM   #10

Default You were right!

I went through the trouble to register with the site just to thank you. I was perplexed by this problem but read your posting and tried it and it immediately solved my problem. $400 saved! THANK YOU!

Regards,
Chris Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDM View Post
:-) I have suffered from the S400 memory card error (and E50) for some time. I recently read a fix for the S400 memory card error, and it worked immediately for me. Simply hold down your menu button for several seconds until the S400 asks if you want to "Reset settings to default?" Select OK. You should now be able to re-format your memory card using the S400, using the "Format?" function under the Menu "Setup" tab. Once you have re-formatted the card using the S400 format function, you should be able to take pictures again.

Chris Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote