Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:17 AM   #1

Kodak web site says not, only up to 2gb but have seen a post on this forum which said they had a 4gb card for their z612....

Kodak manual with z612 also says that zoom is not vailable in movie mode but it is, albeit no use whatsover due to picture blurrieness and sound distortion...so can we really trust the 'official' info from Kodak?

do they work or don't they?

p.s. can anyone tell me if the zoom function in movie mode is any better in the z712?

tinman9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd trust the manufacturer.

SDHC cards are different and devices (both camera and card readers) must specifically support the SDHC specification to use them.

See the section on this site about SD and SDHC card differences:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#sd

Here's what Kodak says (they do not work properly in the Z612):

Kodak answer in FAQ concerning the use of 4GB cards in the Z612

Now, some manufacturers did produce some 4GB cards that were not conformant to the SDHC specification (of course, they are not really conformant to the SD spec either, since it only supports up to 2GB).

But, someone may have found a way to get one working by using a non-standard cluster size for the format of the file system (or something similar to that), to get around the 2GB limitation of the FAT16 file sytem supported by your Kodak, or perhaps the card manufacturers preformatted them that way (speculation).

If you couldn't get one of these to work using a larger cluster size for the format (a "trick" I've seen work with some cameras without FAT32 support to let them get by with larger than 2GB CF cards), you could probably partition one of these non-SDHC 4GB SD cards so that the camera only uses the first 2GB of it (formatted as FAT16), if you're good with partitioning utilities, too. You'd have to experiment to find out for sure if one of these approaches would work or not.

But, IMO, you'd be asking for trouble trying that kind of solution. I'd suggest you stick with 2GB or smaller cards.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:51 PM   #3

tinman9898 wrote:
Quote:
Kodak manual with z612 also says that zoom is not vailable in movie mode but it is, albeit no use whatsover due to picture blurrieness and sound distortion...so can we really trust the 'official' info from Kodak?

p.s. can anyone tell me if the zoom function in movie mode is any better in the z712?
My copy of the z612 manual says can use (pg 12) optical zoom while shooting video but you can't use digital zoom (pg 13) while shooting video.

Ron Baird, in the Kodak section of this site has specifically stated that the z712 was the first Kodak that could use an SDHC card.

Everyone would make better videos if they refrain from zooming whether the lens defocuses/refocuses or not during the filming. The viewers will appreciate not being nauseated.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote