Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 19, 2007, 3:18 AM   #1

CF to IDE adaptor
IDE to USB adaptor

Plugged my locked CF type 2 card (Seagate ST1 5GB FW:3.08 ) from my zen micro into the CF to IDE adaptor and also plugged one of the power cables from my pc into it.

Then i took apart my external HDD and plugged the CF to IDE adaptor into that. Turning on the power and plugging the USB cable into my pc i was able to see the drive in:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

I then deleted all the partitions and formatted it to FAT32.
I was then able to see a G: Drive in My Computer which i could read and write to, albeit kinda slowly.

What i am kinda bummed about is the fact that it wont work in my USB Card Reader

Does anyone have any ideas for how i could use it as a removable storage device? or anything else i could use it for?
scottyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:26 AM   #2

5GB, right?

You could install Linux on it.

I'd suggest looking at SimplyMEPIS 6.5.02. It's got Firefox (with some plugins like Flash 9 Player preinstalled), Open Office, Image Management Applications, CD Burners, Music Players, and much more. It takes less than 4GB of disk space (they compress a lot of applications into a 700MB CD)

It can also read and write to NTFS. I'd avoid the new betas for now. They're very early. I'd go with 6.5.02 (and the 32 bit version is going to be the best for driver compatiblity).

If you want to try it, download the 32 bit .iso file for SimplyMEPIS 6.5.02. It's the top file in the list that will come up here, and it's around 700MB (so it will take a while to download). Copy and paste this link into a browser window to get it

You'll find more download lnks here:

Then, burn it to CD with a tool that knows how to burn a bootable .iso. One free tool is DeepBurner Free. It's the second download link on this page:

When you install Deepburner in Windows and load it, you'll see a "Burn .iso" choice in the popup menu. Browse for the mepis .iso you downloaded and burn it to CD.

That CD is a bootable operating system with almost 4GB of great programs compressed into one CD (Firefox, Open Office, Digikam for Image Managment, and loads more stuff).

Note that it will be very slow running from CD (because of the CD speed and the way it's decompressing software "on the fly". But, it's fast once you install it to hard disk.

You could also install it to your primary hard drive if desired. It has utilities built in that can resize your existing NTFS partiton and make room for Linux partitions. It will take about 4GB of space.

It can also read and write to your existing NTFS partitions. That way, you can access your old data files OK, without using Windows to do it.

There are many thousands of packages available that you can install with a mouse click or two, also.

If a hard drive install on the same drive with Windows is preferred, it's got utilities included (either QTParted or GParted) to resize your NTFS partition. Basically, you make it smaller so that there is unused free space on the drive. Then, you create two new partitions (one that is a type of ext3 and the other that's a type of Linux swap) for intalling SimplyMEPIS.

It's very easy to do (it's a graphical utility that shows you how your drive looks while you resize it). For example, if you have a 100GB drive with Windows on it, and it has 30GB of free space, this is what you may want it to look like with the partition manager built in:

NTFS - 75GB (for your existing Windows install)
ext3 - 24GB (for your new SimplyMEPIS install)
Linux Swap - 1GB (it doesn't need to be very large and it uses this type of partition as virtual memory).

That's only an example. You could even get away with an ext3 partition as small as 4GB for SimplyMEPIS.

It will automatically setup your PC in a dual boot configuration if it finds a Windows partition on it during that process. Then, you can boot into either operating system as desired.

But, if you just want to find a use for that 5GB Seagate, you could install Linux on it, and just use your BIOS options to boot into it as desired versus using a boot manager on your primary drive for that purpose.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote