Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:20 PM   #1

Any one know of how I can get the pictures retrieved from a broken SD card?

It is cracked in the area of the lock and the lock is actually missing.

larc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:26 PM   #2

Ontrack is the preeminent data recovery company.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:30 PM   #3

At work we used them to recover a Compact Flash card eariler this year that someone drove over and they were able to reccove the photos for us.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:41 PM   #4

If you send it to on of the data recovery companies, be prepared to pay dearly for the service, if the data can be recovered. If they can't recover, it usually costs you nothing but the postage. I got a price of $125.00 (and that's special pricing through SanDisk) for a damaged 2GB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo. While I'd like to have the originals, I had backed up about 3/4 of all the stills and a couple of video clips on that card. I'd rather have the $125 in my pocket as nothing that is missing is really super critical. I did have a local camera shop try with their equipment/software... but no dice.

SanDisk will replace the card because its under warranty, and the physical design was flawed (they have since changed their design).
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:08 AM   #5

I'm aware this thread is five years old, but I wanted to take a minute to offer an alternative solution to the one mentioned above, as this thread appears pretty high in the google results for 'sd card broken controller' and it is something with which I have a very personal experience. I also realize that this is promoting a business, but I hope that is acceptable in this case since a) that is what the original poster explicitly asked for and b) I am not affiliated in any way with the company I will mention.

A year and a half ago, my wife and I hired a professional photographer to photograph our wedding reception. About a week later, we got a call from her saying she had left the sd card with all of our pictures on it on her couch and her dog had bitten down on it, destroying the controller and rendering the card unreadable. The photographer was distraught (as were my wife and I) and said she did everything she could and contacted everyone she could think of to recover the photos, but to no avail. Being a bit of a tinkerer, I asked her to send me the card and I would see if I could find a solution.

I ended up sending the card to http://recoverfab.com, a company in Germany that apparently specializes in just this kind of recovery. I got an email a week later saying the card had arrived and within two hours of the first email, got a second saying that all of our photos had been recovered and were ready for download.

My wife and I (and our now three-month-old son!) are buying our first house this month and I cannot wait to surprise her with a wedding album of the pictures we both thought were forever lost.
mikeshklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:24 AM   #6

The look on her face will be worth capturing.
Well done! what a result.
D5100 +18-200mVR Nikkor lens.
SB400 Flash, ML-L3 Remote.
SB 700 Flash
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote