Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1

Which of these two is faster and which is more reliable?
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:48 AM   #2

I use a 2GB sandisc Ultra II compact flash card in my camera. I have used it to take 12,000 photos since May 1st. Never had an issue with it yet. I also have 4GB PQI 100x speed CF card and it works ok most of the time as well...... hada few issues where after erasing the card it had to be reformmatted. Taken about 2,000 photos with this card.

Once the prices come down I might get a 4GB ultra II card.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:01 AM   #3

Rob Galbraith's CF/SD Performance Database is probably the best source of objective information on the performance of flash memory cards.

In almost every case, a Transcend 1GB 80x card was slower than a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB card. In addition, the 2GB Sandisk card was faster than a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II, which would seem to indicate that larger cards are slower, so a 2GB Transcend 80x card would be even slower that the 1GB Transcend 80x.

But there are instances where a Transcend 80x card was faster than a Transcend 120x card, so the results definitely vary with the camera.

So I think it's safe to say that the SanDisk Ultra II is faster than the Transcend 80x, but that your results may be different.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote