Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:10 PM   #1

Has anyone seen a small device, with either a flash drive or a CD burner, to which pictures can be transferred so as to free up the memory stick or SD card, etc. for the next batch of pictures?

I am thinking of a battery powered stand alone device that does not need a desktop computer or laptop. I would like to use such a deviceon an extended trip when I would not have a laptop with me.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:37 PM   #2

Something like this?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:53 PM   #3

A number of people here have said they've had good luck with Wolverine Products.

See http://www.wolverinedata.com/
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:37 PM   #4

I have a Wolverine flashpakck 7000 with the 60GB hard drive model.

It worked great for a 5 day trip to Baltimore last summer. Only thing is that you need to carry the AC adptor which is not a big deal (drop it in your suitecase) if you plan to offload from 8GB cards as it takes a lot of juice and time to do that.

I used the device at the end of everyday with the AC power cord plugged in and offloaded my 2GB and 4GB memory cards, erased them and was ready for the next day. Worked out great. Came home attached it to my laptop via USB and offload all the images to my hard drive and then saved the good ones to 2 DVDs.

The 7000 series doesn't have a color playback screenbut if all you want is to be able to save the pictures and reuse the memory card trhan its a great way to go.

I found the 7000 series small enough to fit into my digital camera bag and it always went with me when I went out from the hotel room on my trip.

bought mine from bhphotovideo.com but newegg.com also has them at good prices.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5

Saw something just last night for saving pictures directly from a digital camera or a digital video camera made by Sony. It allowed the user to connect the camera directly to the device and then transfers all data to a DVD, no hard drive system in this unit. Just another way to save data on the go, also works as an external DVD writer.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:27 AM   #6

Thanks. I'll start looking into these devices.
ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote