Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:43 PM   #1

Hello ,

I dont have much knowledge of how memory cards work but i know that i have formatted the card.

My friend borrowed me his 4GB ExtremeIII card for my holiday.

I took many fotos in which there were some dirty ones lol:blah:

My camera is EOS400 D. I been taking in RAW format and in JPEG i think some of "those" fotos are in JPEG. Not sure if i make sense.

Now i have to give his card back and i just found out that the deleted files/ fotos can be renewed!!! So is there a way that the formatted card can be formatted again so no fotos are seen? PLease if you can help me would be grate )

Many thanks,vesjo
vesjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:23 PM   #2

A simple solution to your problemis to turn off AF and AE, turn on burst mode, leave the lens cap on, and hold down the shutter button until the card is full of photos of the inside of your lens cap.

That will overwrite all your photos, so they can't ever be retrieved.

The problem with formatting is that most 'format' options don't actually erase the card; they just forget that there are files there, and so treats the card as empty. New files will overwrite the old ones, but if they haven't been overwritten they can still be retreieved. My solution overwrties all the old files.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:46 PM   #3

Or you could use free software like Eraser

Put the card in a memory card reader (or card slot if your computer has one) and use Eraser to eradicate the contents to military grade specs !
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote