Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:47 PM   #1

I have an ATP brand 1GB generic that is actually faster than a SanDisk Ultra II, I guess I just got lucky on this one.

I've had a Corsair 133x that fell apart and there was a drastic speed difference in the one that broke and the replacement I got.

I've seen posts complaining about slow cards and suggestion being made to arrange for an RMA.

Anyone notice a variation in performance from card to card with the same SKU in generic brands?
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:24 AM   #2

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to change the components used in a given brand/model from time to time. You see this with the major name brand cards, too (for example Sandisk and Lexar), not just the less common card brands.

Sometimes you can tell different "generations" of cards by looking at the edge stamps (for cards that have them). Sometimes you can't.

Note the "How Can I Be Sure the Card I Buy is the Same One Tested in this Report? " section on this page where Rob Galbraith discusses manufacturers changing components in cards:

If you look through some of the tests he has online, you'll sometimes see the same brand/type of card testing differently in the same camera (with different edge stamps distinquishing them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote