Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 1, 2008, 12:28 AM   #1

I had taken over 300+ pictures and 10 movies using my Panasonic DMC-FZ8 camera on a 2GB SD Card.

As i needed to take more pictures, I transferred the images and movies from the SD card to a USB. This was done using a card reader from radioshack and a PC running Windows XP.

All the transferred files are on the USB, but cannot be read as the message "format not supported" is displayed once the file is opened.

This is happening to the images (.jpg) and movies (.mov).

Appreciate help.

malayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2008, 6:36 AM   #2

What do you mean by transferred from SD to USB. Do you mean a USB thumb drive of some type? If so, chances are you didn't use the Safely Remove or Eject before removing it from your PC, and the PC had not yet flushed everything in memory to the drive (Windows will cache writes with some media, depending on the driver setup).

So, your best bet would be to try and get the images from the original SD card. If that's not possible, then you can try to use recovery software and hope it's only a File Allocation Table problem.

Download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page.

Select your memory card or flash drive from the list of media it finds, and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at defaults (Partition type of Intel, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

If you have any questions or issues, let me know. Make sure you can see your photos OK (not just the thumbnails) after recovering them.

Here's another free product you can use:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote