Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 12, 2008, 5:21 PM   #1

My mother bought a new camera. Only problem is the SDHC card is not recognized by her older photo printer. Anyone know if they make a SDHC to SD card adaptor ? I found a SD/SDHC/MS to CF adaptor but only SD adaptors seem to be for the micro kind to SD.

Second, does anyone know where you can find a standard SD card in the 4GB size? My camera wont use the new SDHC cards and I cannot find a SD bigger than 2GB anymore.

Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2008, 5:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
My mother bought a new camera. Only problem is the SDHC card is not recognized by her older photo printer. Anyone know if they make a SDHC to SD card adaptor ? I found a SD/SDHC/MS to CF adaptor but only SD adaptors seem to be for the micro kind to SD.
No (as far as I know)

Quote:
Second, does anyone know where you can find a standard SD card in the 4GB size? My camera wont use the new SDHC cards and I cannot find a SD bigger than 2GB anymore.
Sorry, capacities greater than 2GB require that a camera support a 32 bit File Allocation Table (i.e., FAT32). So, even if you didn't have the other technical differences you find between SD and SDHC, a camera designed to use a 16 bit FAT wouldn't work with card sizes over 2GB anyway.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 5:59 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Hotoru wrote

Sorry, capacities greater than 2GB require that a camera support a 32 bit File Allocation Table (i.e., FAT32). So, even if you didn't have the other technical differences you find between SD and SDHC, a camera designed to use a 16 bit FAT wouldn't work with card sizes over 2GB anyway.
Thanks for the reply Jim. But I think you mean cards over 4GB for the prior limits. I bought an AData 4GB SD card about two years ago with my Sanyo HD1 and a PQI 4GB for my Canon S1. The only reason I need another for the Sanyo is that the 4GB cracked and stopped working. They have swtiched all the 4GB Cards to SDHC. But, I think I am just going to get a 2GB SD card as I rarely filled my 4GB card and the 2GB ones are going for as low as $10 street!

Old May 27, 2008, 3:58 AM   #4

I'll second the fact that 4GB SD (as in not SDHC) cards are available and can be purchased. I have heard of them being slightly thicker than the standard (and official SD Card). None of the big name cardmakers provide such a card, which leads me to beleive that their specs are not in accordance with the Secure Digital Association's. As such they won't be guaranteed to work in every device anyway. Also, they may not use the full 4gb.

Might be better to get the mom a nice, official 2gb or two from a tested brandname. I've never had a problem with my sandisk cards in 6 different devices (and many non-camera) so far. Never heard of any recognition issues either. Ultimately, if a Card doesn't have the prospect of working in another device i feel that you're loosing too much freedom to use the card how it was intended (as interchangable from device to device).

Best of luck!
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 6:05 AM   #5

The difference between an SD Card and an SDHC card is logical, not physical. (That is, if you forget about the extra capacity.)

SD Cards use the FAT16 file system, which has a maximum volume size just slightly smaller than 4GB. SDHC Cards use the FAT 32 file system, which can be 4GB or larger. Therefore, there are no SDHC to SD converters; the host device (the camera or, in your case, the printer) either supports the FAT32 file system or it does not, and in your case, it does not.

There have been SD Cards (as in, not "SDHC Cards") that were marketed as 4GB, but that's just a marketing ploy. The operating system (of a computer, camera or printer) uses binary numbers to keep track of things, so all values must be powers of two. A kilobyte is not 1,000 bytes, but 1024 (2[suP]10[/suP]), a megabyte is not 1,000,000 bytes, but 1,048,576 (2[suP]20[/suP]), and (most important for the purposes of this discussion) a gigabyte is not 1,000,000,000 bytes, but 1,073,741,824 (2[suP]30[/suP]). But the manufacturers of storage devices (hard disk drives, optical drives and flash memory devices) call 1,000,000 bytes a megabyte, and 1,000,000,000 bytes a gigabyte. This means that a 4 GB SD Card has a capacity of 4,000,000,000 bytes which is small enough to be supported by FAT16, but is really smaller than 4GB (4,294,967,296 bytes.)

But SDHC Cards come from the manufacturer already formatted with the FAT32 file system, and so can't be used in devices that don't support FAT32. While there used to be 4GB (that is, 4,000,000,000 byte) cards that were formatted as FAT16, these are currently hard to come by.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:10 PM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
There have been SD Cards (as in, not "SDHC Cards") that were marketed as 4GB, but that's just a marketing ploy. ............ This means that a 4 GB SD Card has a capacity of 4,000,000,000 bytes which is small enough to be supported by FAT16, but is really smaller than 4GB (4,294,967,296 bytes.)
......., these are currently hard to come by.
Thanks for the info Jim. That clears things up. I guess they were really 3+GB SD cards. I finally gave up and settled on a 2GB SD for the old Sanyo.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:57 PM   #7

In fact, any 4G SD card does not conform to the regular SD standard, so only a few maufacturers made them. This is why SDHC cards start at 4G.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:28 AM   #8

dnas wrote:
Quote:
In fact, any 4G SD card does not conform to the regular SD standard, so only a few maufacturers made them. This is why SDHC cards start at 4G.
Unfortunately, I have an older Canon S2IS that will not read SDHC cards. Video chews up memory faster than a hungry rat does cheese. I would take a 'not really' 4GB but close SD card over a *true* 4GB SDHC card that will not work in my camera.