Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:08 PM   #1

Okay, so I have a 1 GB SD card that I have had for over a year now, and it has worked fine in the past. So today I tried to upload the pictures from my card onto my computer, and I keep getting the error message "The disk is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?". After going through all the steps to begin formatting, my computer (which, may I add, runs on Windows XP), said that it would delete all the pictures if i formatted it. So, I didn't go through with it.

Then, I tried to run it through Microsoft Picture Manager. I tried to bring it up as a picture shortcut and it told me, "The disk is not formatted or has been formatted for a Macintosh. Format?" Of course, with my previously gained knowledge of my computer's formatting abilities, I did not go through with it for a second time

However, the problem is that when I put the card into the camera itself, a Canon Powershot, reads the pictures and the card as well as it ever has. I downloaded a number of programs to see if I could try to get the pictures off the card and, alas, I cannot get the pictures off the card.

Does anyone know how I can get my precious photos onto my computer?
dayzeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:23 AM   #2

I presume that, when you tried to upload your photos from the card to your PC, you were using a card reader.

Have you tried connecting th ecamera directly to the PC to transfer the photos?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:26 AM   #3

I'd download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. Then, just click on the desired operating system to download it.

Use a card reader, and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at defaults (Partition type of Intel, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

It doesn't care about the file system at all, so any FAT (File Allocation Table) problems won't matter if you got any contiguous images saved before your FAT was corrupted (the most likely isssue).

After recovering your images, make sure to format the card again using your camera's menu choice for format (not your PC). I do that every time I reuse a memory card. Before formatting the card, make sure you can see the full size images, not just the thumbnails.

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

There are some other free programs around that do a pretty good job in most cases., too. Here's one example (and it also has a nice Graphical User Interface):

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:57 AM   #4

complete formatting ??
or standart, "fast"(only fs created on-the-fly)?
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote