Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:07 AM   #1

I have enough money saved up to finally get my XSi DSLR. And I was going to order the Transcend 8gb SDHC Class 6card off amazon.com. It was a really low price...only like $24. But I have read some reviews saying that files become corrupt, and the card is no longer readable in cameras or on computers. On the other hand, I have read that the card is great...low price, fast writing, definately worth getting, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with these cards? If so, would you suggest buying it or not?

RHDxSPAWNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:00 PM   #2

If your spending the money on the SLR, get some premium brand memory as well, don't cut corners. :-)

Try 8GB models of these brands, Lexar, Sandisk or Panasonic Class 6.
coldpower27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:33 AM   #3

I have this card, but not in a camera. I use it primarily for ReadyBoost in my Vista laptop. I've had it several months without any glitches, and it seems to be pretty quick.

Flash memory problems happen at a higher rate than non-flash memory problems, that just comes with the territory. Of course there are better brands and worse brands, but I've always found transcend to be a good balance of reliability, performance, and price.

The best advice I can give regarding ANY type or brand of flash memory is to regularly backup whatever you have on it to more reliable media. That way, if and when your flash card craps out, the impact is minimized. Don't ever rely on flash memory as your primary storage of anything. High quality compactflash may be an exception here, but in general, don't trust flash memory any more than you have to.
JakeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:31 PM   #4

Don't use SDHC cards but I use a transcend 16GB 133x Compact Flash card in my camera. Taken close to 10,000 images on it with no issues. Transcend is very realiable card manufactor.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:32 PM   #5

I have a number of transcend CF and SD/SDHC cards. They all work fine.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote