Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:18 PM   #11

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your help! I finally got the pictures off this morning thanks to your advice and the expertise of some of my friends at work. Here's a post of what worked for everyone's future reference.

To recap everything up to today, I tried Photorec on Mac and Windows and it could not 'see' the card. BTW - I have Administrator access on Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu Linux comptuers. Plugging the card into Mac does nothing; into Vista or Linux the card shows up as an icon where the drives are listed, but if you double click it gives a message along the lines of "no disk detected/please insert disk".

Today, we used the Linux computer and did everything with the command line.

1) Finding The Card
a) cd to /dev and do ls -lrt > temp1.txt and do this again without card reader plugged in > temp2.txt
b) do dif between the files to show the potential device name
c) look into these things to see which one it is; for us it was /dev/sdc (I'm guessing sdc is for SD card)

2) Mount The Card Manually
Here is what worked. We had to play around with it a little bit.
sudo mount -t usbfs -s /dev/sdc /mnt/usbdrive

3) Run PhotoRec
The mounted card now came up and the pictures were recovered. It seems in this case that the pictures themselves did not have errors, the difficult part was getting the card mounted.

Thanks again, Jim. Take care.

PhotoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote