Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:20 PM   #1

I purchased an 8 gig Extreme lll card this evening at BestBuy and am wondering if this card is compatible for my Canon 30D EOS camera? They couldn't answer this question tonight at the store, but I paid about $58 for the card and told them I would seek an opinion on line.

I currently am using a 4 gig card and am wondering if this card will function okay in my 30D Canon? Has anyone used this size card in the 30D as I would have to believe the camera can handle the added storage capability.

Please discuss....
Indykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:33 AM   #2

Take a look at the instruction manual for the 30D on page 28 ... located here ...

... which indicates that a CF card greater than 2GB will work. So your 8GB should be ok.

Also SanDisk has a rebate available and here is the rebate form, if you purchase the card from a specific camera retailer. Here is the link - and on line sites for the stores also qualify.

The rebate is good thru 1/17.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks! I believe your answer is correct and also think I answered my own question with the link below:

I'm going to open the package now as I purchased it from BestBuy and will also look into the rebate possibilities as well, but could not get your link to fire up.

Much appreciated however!
Indykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 1:28 PM   #4

If you've been using a 4GB card without incident, there's no reason to believe you'll have a problem with an 8GB card.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:11 PM   #5

I did some checking and found that6 if your 4GB card is weorking well your 8GB will work just as well. If you use a 16GB or 32GB you may have to re-format the card in the camera the first time to make it work, but thry too should work.

Their is a difference in file format structures Fat16 vs FAT 32 when you copmpare 2GB vs 4GB/8GB cards..... and if a camera can normally read a 4GB you good for larger cards like 8GB, 16GB etc. I did find in my Fuji S9100 last year when I got a 16GB card that I had to reformat it in the camera to make it work but it works perfectly for me now.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote