Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #21

I have been reading through the memory card error threads and I'm stuck. I spent several hours trying to get Photorec to recognize my drive, I restarted my MacBook, re-inserted the card, and it would never show up for me.

I've tried several other programs, but since I can't get the card to show up, I'm not able to get the pictures off of it.

I'm using a Transcend 16GB Class 6 SDHC card that came with a card reader in a Panasonic ZS3 on my MacBook that is running Snow Leopard.

I took pictures for several months (got the card and camera at the same time off of Amazon in July) and after having no problem taking, viewing and downloading pictures, I inserted the card reader in my MacBook this past week and it managed to bring up iPhoto, but nothing more happened. When I tried to eject it, and reinsert it, nothing happened. It didn't recognize the card or even register that the card reader was inserted.

When I put the card back in the camera the message "Memory Card Error Please Check the Card" came up.

I've run PhotoRec, but I've never been able to get the card to come up in the list to be able to get the photos off of it.

Please help - I have all of our Halloween photos on there and would hate to lose them!
Thank you,
Lissaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:26 PM   #22

Hey Melissa:

My apologies but I missed your last post to this thread. Did you figure out the issue with it?

I'd try it under a different operating system and see what you get (perhaps on a friend's PC). I'm not familiar with OS X, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help in that area.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:51 AM   #23

I am having troubles with a 2gb Toshiba SD memory card.

The card was in my digital camera (Nikon Coolpix s51) for a couple months without use, and when I went to take pictures one day, the camera couldn't read the card. I never had any trouble with it before. It just stopped reading it out of the blue.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world
denialmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:25 AM   #24
Default Computer does not recognize the device with memory card

Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Are you sure it doesn't show up under the list of media available when using the free Photorec utility? Try it and let us know what you see.

Use your card reader and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, etc.). It will be the one that's the same size as your card. Just select it and gve it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked "Where to Save Recovered Files" (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec named recup_1, etc.), but you can change it to something else if desired.

If your card is not showing up in the list of media it finds, let us know (but, try removing it and reinserting it and restart photorec to make sure it's not showing up).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

It doesn't care about the file system at all, so any FAT (File Allocation Table) problems won't matter if you got any contiguous images saved before your FAT was corrupted (the most likely issue).

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

There are some other free programs around that do a pretty good job in most cases., too. Here's one example (and it also has a nice Graphical User Interface). I usually prefer photorec. But, if you're not comfortable with a text based interface, you may want to try this one first instead.

I have similar problem with a 4 GB SDHC and I cannot utilize the recovery software because I cannot get the computer to recognize the card reader when (and only when) the corrupted memory card is inserted. If I insert any other memory card is inserted, the computer acknowledges the reader and allows me to select it.

What can I do at this point? Is there any way to recover the photos?

Please advise. Thank you.
lminster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:35 AM   #25

I was having the same problem last time and I fixed it by following this memory card recovery guide: recover data from corrupted memory card

hope this helps.

Last edited by dayanamo5; Sep 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
dayanamo5 is offline   Reply With Quote