Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:16 PM   #1
Default accidentally formatted flash card

Is there any way of retreiving the pictures on a flash card after accidentally formatting the card. I was using a fuji 6900 camera and accidentally hit format, can the files be saved some way.
dodgemcar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:00 AM   #2

I suggest that you download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. Then, just click on the desired operating system to download it.

Use a card reader if possible, and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, memory cards, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked "Where to Save Recovered Files" (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired). Note that this product does not retain the original file names (but, you may not care about that), since it ignores the file allocation table entirely.

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any image files that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:06 PM   #3

Image Rescue, from Lexar Media does a good job. Mine came for free with a Lexar thumb drive.

RescuePro is a similar program from SanDisk.

These may be available on-line.
neilcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:48 PM   #4

WHATEVER YOU DO -- DO NOT USE THE CARD AGAIN UNTIL YOU DO DATA RECOVERY. The program Jim C speaks off is good. I have also used mmCard recovery with good results on xD cards. I have also used the Rescue Pro from Sandisc on a Sandisc Extreme III (as a test with good results).

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote