Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:18 AM   #1
Default Sd hc

I just purchased the Canon XS20 IS.

The sales person recommended a Promaster 4GB Class 6 memory card - hi-speed 153x. It was $49.99. Is this a reliable card? Should I exhcange for a different one?

I also picked up a dane-elec 8GB class 4 card at Target for $34.99.

I have to say that the more reviews I read, the more confused I get. I suppose I only have enough knowledge to be dangerous and not to make the best deicision.....worst part....we are leaving for Italy in four days and I am concerned about having reliable storage.

Also considering the Flip Video Ultra HD with 2 hrs of video capability.

Any advice in welcome and appreciated!

MrsStigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:32 AM   #2

Both the cards you mentioned are no-name generic brands. That is not to say that they're bad, but quality and performance are likely to vary from lot to lot, so don't put much faith in the brand or in the testimony of the salesperson. What you can put faith in is the SD Card Class, and if you want to shoot video or continuous, get at least Class 6. There's a reason that a generic 8GB Class 4 card was cheaper than a generic 4GB Class 6 card: capacity is cheap, speed is expensive. But if you don't need the speed, don't worry about it.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote