Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1

Default Can't get pictures from SD Card: Memory Card Error

I just got back from an incredible Las Vegas/Grand Canyon trip and took hundreds of pictures with my Canon Power Shot A470 camera using a PNY SD 2GB card. Everything was working fine until I took the card out of the camera and put it back again. Now all I get is a Memory Card Error message in my camera. I tried using the memory card ready on my PC and it doesn't register the card once I insert it. I also purchased a USB Memory Card Reader and it does not recognize the card as well. I have tried six different data recovery softwares without any success, including the cgsecurity PhotoRec that is recomended here. The card does not appear as a drive letter when mounted into a reader or my camera. How can I recover all those pictures?
kennybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:53 AM   #2

It sounds like you've tried everything except these guys: http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/photo-recovery/
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:00 AM   #3
Administrator

Download SimplyMEPIS 8.0.12 as shown in this post and burn the downloaded .iso file to a CD.

Unable to read Sandisk 8GB SDHC Card

Reboot your PC into it (it's a "Live Linux CD", which means the operating system can run from a CD), and log in using username demo, password, demo (demo for both).

Open a console (you'll find a terminal program shown as "Terminal Program - Konsole" in the menus), and type this (using root as the password when prompted for it), and post the results into a forum post here. Note that you'll find Firefox in the menus so you can use it while running under Linux (the operating system will run from a live cd).

su
fdisk -l

If you don't see anything resembling your SD card (that command will give you a list of drives and partitions found in the system along with their reported sizes), unplug the card, plug it back in, and try again, repeating the same command. If it shows up, there is a technique we can use to make a sector by sector copy of the card using a disk utility known as ddrescue (even if the card is not mountable by the operating system, since it treats it as a block device), writing to an image file (a single file the same size as your card). This is a utility designed to make a sector by sector copy of a failing drive (making multiple passes as needed to "fill in the blanks" in the destination image when hard read errors occur), and I've also had success using it with failing flash media. Then, we can recover any photos from the image file created by ddrescue using a utility like photorec (which is also on the SimplyMEPIS CD).

I'll need to see how it's being reported (what device name is being assigned to it, as well as your windows partitions so we have a place to store the image file) in order to give you the needed instructions, which is why I need you to copy and paste the results of that command here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4

Default RE: Memory Card Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
It sounds like you've tried everything except these guys: http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/photo-recovery/

Actually, I did try ontrack data recovery and it didn't work. It still does not mount or recognize the card on the reader. What can I do?
kennybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Administrator

I think he meant to send them the card. It looks like they only charge a bargain price of $995 per media device right now. :-)

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/p...ery/offer.aspx

I'd see if it's recognized by a different operating system (sometimes one is, sometimes one is not). See my previous post.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:26 PM   #6

I used http://www.piriform.com software when I got an error code on my camera. Teaches me to buy cheap sdhc cards.

Last edited by pagerboy; Mar 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #7

Thank you very much for the links. I had never thought about this issue at all.

Only Kingston memory cards and modules, i have problems with and that was ages ago. I had not used them anymore.

Always format my cards before leaving the house for a fresh trip. Just to be sure.
Lensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 8:28 AM   #8

I recently had a cheap generic SD card go dead on me. Tried using a card reader, all the recommended free recovery software and finally Zero Assumption Recovery, which took a 5 hour scan, only to tell me that every sector was corrupted and inaccessible.
I download every day, so I had only lost one day's pictures and I wasn't prepared to pay $100 for professional recovery, but I was more than slightly annoyed.
I left the card in the reader and two days later, when I switched the computer on, I suddenly noticed that it was reporting KODAK (J) suggesting that it had detected the filesystem. Sure enough, I was able to open it and retrieve all my pictures. Can't say it will work in every case, but it's worth a try. My usual experience is that mechanical and electronic equipment is not self-healing! Needless to say, I will not be using this card again.

Interesting to note that every file on the card was fragmented, so it would seem to be a good idea to reformat regularly, if only to speed up file saving.
MikeHimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:23 PM   #9

Memory card error often happens. I'd recommend that you take out the memory card from canon camera, and then connect the memory card to computer using a usb card reader, you can then follow memory card recovery guide below
fix memory card error and recover lost photos

hope that this helps you get back your lost photos on memory card.

Last edited by mark2940; Jul 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
mark2940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:19 AM   #10
Administrator

mark2940:

Use a card reader.

Most newer camera models use PTP to communicate with a PC, and are not usable as a mass storage device with recovery software. In some cases, you may need to install the camera manufacturer's utility software and drivers just to copy photos from it (but, that won't help for use with recovery software).

Even cameras that can act as a usb mass storage device will usually not work properly with a corrupted file system when trying to use recovery software.

So, it's a good idea to use a USB attached card reader for recovering images from a corrupted memory card.

BTW, please be careful when reporting spam posts using the complaint button, as not all of the posts you reported this morning were from spammers.

For example, some of them were from a long time member with hundreds of posts here. He was just offering an opinion on software for recovery purposes ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva , which is well rated and really free), not trying to promote it for personal gain. In contrast, many other posts are really from spammers (joining just to promote recovery software that is not really free and only works on a trial basis, which is spam). There's a difference. ;-)

IOW, if you are not sure a post is spam, just send me a PM, because we don't want to accidentally ban someone because of a false spam report. Thanks.