Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Default Is there really a difference?

I'm going to a monsterjam show in jacksonville municipal stadium with my daughter on saturday. I'm going to high def it with my FZ35. I'm going to get a new sdhc for the cam. I see that there are sdhc's that say for HD and/or video. I have googled the subject and seem to get mixed opinions on if in fact the cards that do say "video and/or hd" truly do store hd videos better than the one's that just say sdhc. I spoke to three people yesterday:

1st said(from radioshack)- You don't need a hd or video card. The data is stored all the same way, you just really should get one with the fastest transfer rate.

2nd said(actual camera store dude)- It does matter. Cards that say HD or Video are made differently from regular sdhc's.

3rd said(ritz camera)-It don't matter wether it's HD or Video. Just get a fast transfer rate, and at least an 8gig because the high def recordings take up a massive amount of room.

So who is actually correct? Does it matter if the card says HD or Video? And, what card would be recommended for the high def recording in an 8 or 16 gig?

Many Thanks:
VengefulHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:56 PM   #2

The card is used to primary store the video contents, HD or video it's still saving the save format on either card, they both serve the same purpose. But one thing they got right is a fast transfer rate 10+, best get a 8gb or 16 gb SDHC card, class 6.I have a FZ35 and have 1gb . 4gb & 16 gb all SDHC Class 6, works very well for photo's & video's.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:58 PM   #3

Paul is very correct-

The transfer rate is the key issue. You need a class 6 and above card for the proper record and read action.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:18 PM   #4

Soooo, heute hab ich mir (testweise) eine CLASS10 SDHC zulegen. Ist über Internetz bestellt und
beim Händler abgeholt genauso teuer wie dort eine Class6 gekauft. Ein kurzer Test zeigt, dass die Class10 beim
Schreiben doch einiges schneller ist als die Class6. Spielt natürlich praktisch bei Fotoapparaten keine Rolle,
nur doofe Pinkels bilden sich ein, es müsste eine Sandisk Extreme II oder III oder sowas sein, wo draufsteht 15 MB/S bzw. 30 MB/s.
Die zahlen für ihre Einbildung dann locker den doppelten Preis - wobei diese bloss Class4 oder Class6 sind!
Die Transcend 8GB Class6 kostet ~17 €, die 8GB Class10 ~ 20 €.
Die Transcend Class6 ist für 6MB/s schreiben garantiert, praktisch liegt sie wohl bei 10-12 MB/s schreiben und ~ 16 MB/s lesen.
Bei der Transcend Class10 sind 16 MB/s bzw. 20 MB/s für schreiben/lesen angegeben.
Beim Test wird natürlich allerhand Zusätzliches produziert, die Werte entsprechen aber dann eher der "Wirklichkeit".
Natürlich hängt die Geschwindigkeit auch von PC und Lesegerät ab, sogar die Formatierung der SDHC Karte spielt eine Rolle.

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote