Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:53 PM   #1

Default 16 gb memory=8.5 minutes of HD video?!

I chose my Panasonic Lumix FX-40 mainly for the HD video feature. I finally splurged on a high speed Kingston 133x 16GB SDHC card today. But when I inserted it into my camera, formatted it and switched to HD video mode, it says 8 minutes and 34 seconds recording time?! What the?! My camera records in .mov format so I expected a much longer recording time with 16gb of memory! Did I do something wrong?
CharmeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2

15 min at 1080-p with my t1i only uses 4gb. Unless it limits the size of the video to only 8+ min, that does seem strange.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:15 AM   #3
Administrator

If you look in the table near the back of your manual that shows recording lengths, you'll see that it's limited to a maximum recording length of 2GB per movie, and what you're seeing on screen for remaining time is only reflecting up to 2GB. But, you can record multiple 2GB movies on the same card.

With a 16GB card, you should get approximately 1 Hour and 8 minutes (total recording time for multiple clips) in it's highest quality mode.

Some cameras allow up to 4GB per movie, because FAT32 (the file system used by SDHC cards) has a maximum file size of 4GB. But, for some reason, the manual states that movie length is limited to 2GB per movie with your model (or at least that's what I'm seeing for the FX48, which is how they market that camera here in the U.S.).

Sometimes you find regional differences in recording lengths, too (because of differences in fps and/or regulations for maximum movie lengths allowed due to movie format restrictions with higher taxes in some areas)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:41 AM   #4

EU limited video to 29:59 - but Canon SX1, Canon 550D and other Canons, taking video with 43 Mbps stops after ~ 12 minutes = 4 GB. Then you have to start again. :-(

Limit of 4GB is caused by FAT32 ! With DV camcorders you can make videos till 13GB/1h.

For DV camcorders EU introduced +14% ExtraTAX, if it has "firewire in" ... s.h.i.t EU ... then it's a VIDEORECORDER
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:09 AM   #5
Administrator

A number of newer camera models are now supporting SXDC cards using exFAT, which allows larger file sizes to get around the 4GB file size limit with FAT32. So, as time passes, there shouldn't be any file system problems as more models adopt the new file system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Sony will also be releasing new cards (Memory Stick XC) that use exFAT by default.

But, it's still unclear if newer models supporting both SDHC and SXDC cards will work with SDHC cards formatted as exFAT (my guess is that they would, but I don't know anyone that's tried it yet with one of the cameras supporting SDXC and exFAT).

Of course, you may still see regional differences due to regulations about recording length if manufacturers try to avoid having models classified as video cameras so that higher taxes don't apply.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:28 PM   #6

My SONY Camcorder HC3 (EU!) makes 1920x1080 nonstop videos till card ends ... 8GB = 1h25min, 16GB = 2h50min and writes continuous 4GB parts.

Tested with my yesterday bought Transcend 8GB Class10 - cheaper than Transcend 8GB Class6 :-)

SDXC Transcend 64 GB Class10 = € 157 .... Panasonic, Kingston more than double price!

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote