Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 3, 2010, 7:24 PM   #1
Default Salvaging Pictures - xD Card

This last week, I took around 90 pictures on my Olympus camera, all saved on the xD card that was in it. Yesterday I accidentally hit "Format," which proceeded to "erase all pictures." Panicking, and not able to cancel this action, I popped open the battery slot and took out the battery and xD card, which I think is now broken.
Now when I turn on my camera and the card is in it, I have the option to clean off the card and try again, or format the card (which I am afraid will erase all of my pictures). Putting the card directly into my computer doesn't help, it won't read any of the photos.
I have tried some programs I found online to recover photos, but so far they have only been able to recover old ones that I deleted on purpose.
Has anyone been through this situation? Or does anyone know what to do to get my pictures back? Solutions would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much in advance!
spatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2

I'm surprised you got anything at all from it. With most Olympus models using xD Picturecard you can't get anything back after a format (my guess is that it's doing something other than just recreating the File Allocation Table on the card, and may be overwriting some of the areas used by the images). It's probably a good thing you interrupted it by removing the battery. With most other cameras and media types, a camera format really doesn't hurt anything as far as being able to recover images (since it only recreates the File Allocation Table, versus overwriting any areas used by the images).

Try Photorec, and make sure to use the "Whole Disk" option versus selecting the partition it finds on it and see if that works any better. See this thread for more details:

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote