Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Default Best SD Card Speed for Canon SX30

I have been using a Konica-Minolta Z-6 for several years and the speed of the SD card wasn't very important. However, I have ordered one of the new SX30s and I need to purchase larger capacity cards. However, the biggest question I have is: How fast should the cards I buy be so I don't slow the camera down?

I realize there is no black & white answer, but I would appreciate any advice you can spare.

Thanks in advnace.

The Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:54 AM   #2

I'd like to know, too. I'm also about to pull the trigger on this new camera...love the specs.
drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:01 PM   #3

If you are shooting HD video a lot with this camera, the best choice for the SD card is a class 10 card which doesn't cost too much more than a class 4 or class 6. As far as capacity is concerned, bigger the better. Right now, the holidays are coming (Thanksgiving and Christmas), there should be a lot of sales where you can pick up SD cards pretty cheap. In fact, I just picked up a 8gb SDHC by PQI for $7.67 shipped with a $5 coupon code. 16gb card by Patriot is about $20 online.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4

i agree with WCKSer......since that camera is capable of HD video id definatley get a class 10 card...anything lower will not be able to keep up with the camera during filming.... i am 90% positive im getting this camera.......and ill be using a sandisk sdhc class 10 16gb mainly cause the 32gb is A LOT OF $$$ right now....

also remember the bigger the card the more you might loose if it fails.......so unless your gonna plan on filling that card a lot and removing the stuff on a regular basis you may want to keep it simple with a 8gb or 4gb card. but again for that camera.....id really go with a class 10 for sure...

i just got another for my wife's camera it came in the mail yesterday.....i got it HERE. its a 4GB class 10 sdch

another thing to keep in mind is the sx30 is will also accept SDXC cards.....so maybe keeping it cheaper now you can wait till the prices on sdxc goes down........

Last edited by bryman; Nov 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM.
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote