Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:52 PM   #1
Default Low-level formatted...lost forever?

I performed an accidental LOW-LEVEL format of my SanDisk 4GB memory card in my Canon SD900 camera, resulting in a loss of all photos. I used the SanDisk recommended recovery software as well as countless others (demos and purchases) to no avail. Not a single file found. My next step was to try to send the card in to the reputable Data Recovery companies and pay whatever cost; however, each company has basically told me over the phone "if our demo software is finding nothing, we won't find anything, save your money and postage. Technology does not exisit to recover photos after a low-level format" Does it sound like I have exhausted all resources? I find it difficult to believe that in a matter of SECONDS that 4GB of photos are gone forever. Is it far-fetched for me to think that if I store this card that some day in the future, someone may figure it out or that the technology will be available down the road for such instances?
Regards, a devastated Flagirlie
FlaGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:16 PM   #2

See if Photorec can get them back, carefully following the instructions in this thread, including trying the suggestions about using the whole disk option with brute force turned on.

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards

If it doesn't see them, then the low level format option you used overwrote all of the space used by the images, and you're not going to get them back, no matter what software you use.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote