Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 27, 2003, 4:16 PM   #1
Default Another Newbie Question: Matching SD speed to Camera?

Is the modern crop of digital cameras (like my Pentax Optio 33WR for example) able to use the full speed potential of the latest/fastest SD out there (like the SD Ultra II or Lexar 32x) or is there a hardware constraint? TIA...
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:14 PM   #2

The faster SD cards will speed up any camera to a certain point but mostly only the higher end cameras will really benefit from its use. The good thing is that the price of the fast SD cards isn't much more than the slower cards. I have Lexar and SanDisk Ultra II brand SD cards here and haven't found a camera yet that doesn't like them. On lower end cameras you'll only see shorter write to the card times and some shorter playback delays. If the camera has USB 2.0 or you use a USB 2.0 card reader then you'll really see a big difference in download times - it is dramatic.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:32 PM   #3

I am finding that the best test of SD speed is to time the seconds it takes for the camera [FZ10] to recover from a 5 shot burst mode.
My 16MB Panasonic took 5.8 sec. and my 256MB Sandisc to 10.9 seconds. Luckily, the camera shop I bought the SD from will exchange it for an Ultra II for $30 more. This winds up costing me a bit more than if I bought the Ultra 2 first- but at least I will have a faster card. Will test the Ultra 2 when I pick it up.
TimXX is offline   Reply With Quote