Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:38 AM   #1
Default SD and MMC cards

What's the difference between SD and MMC cards? I've heard that you can choose which one you want to use.
gooooogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:47 PM   #2

SD is available up to 512MB, soon to 1GB. I have never seen a MMC type card bigger than 128MB. The SD cards are much faster too.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 8:45 PM   #3

Steve is absolutly right, there are differences in speed and size(I should tell more here, although MMC technology was predicted to die soon because of it's limitations and it was decided not to produce cards with capacity higher than 128mb as Steve mentioned, now things are changed, since they lower and sitll used by some cell phones and other devices, some companies renew their production and from what I know there are 512mb cards avaiable now).
There are some other differences e.g. secure digital is a bit more solid, it also has better static protection so there are less chanses that you'll loose your data, it also have write protection feature (which isn't presented on MMC).
I woul definitely go for SD since it's faster more reliable in my eyes and it's current standart for many digicams(although digicams which understand SD cards frequently could read MMC as well, it's done through emulation mode, in the same time you can't read SD on MMC card reader since inventors cancelled back compatiblity on the final stage of SD deveolopment).
Sorry for my poor English, hope my answer was a bit helpful.

PS if you interested in buying SD/MMC or CS card you can check this link it's Russian site which was translated by Altavista's Bablefish so some some sentenses could sound strange or make nosense, but it's nice resource and it has some tests which show performance of some flash card brands.
There are some other tests like this was performed so if you interested just let me know and I'll look for them and post a link.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote