Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Default Sandisk Extreme III (30mb's) 4G

I am trying to salvage certain stuff from my Sony a300 digital camera...Will this CompactDisk 4G (30MB) fit in a Canon T3i camera?? Thanks
nitti48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:31 PM   #2

The Sony A300 uses CompactFlash flash memory cards, while the Canon T3i uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards. They are not interchangeable.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:08 PM   #3

I noticed your post yesterday asking about your HVL-F42AM because you're thinking about getting a T3i and responded to it:

HVL-F42AM Flash

Memory cards are not worth much (and you wouldn't be able to use a CompactFlash card with a T3i anyway).

But, when you start getting into better dedicated flashes and lenses, then the cost to switch systems can add up.

Is there a reason you're looking at the T3i over a newer Sony model?

For example, the Sony A580 would be a nice upgrade for you.

It's a much better camera compared to your A300 in a variety of areas (higher resolution 16MP CMOS sensor, larger optical viewfinder, larger LCD with higher resolution, much lower noise levels, higher available ISO speeds, more than one Live View mode, faster Autofocus system with more AF points, ability to take 1080i video, more than one Live View mode, and lots of newer features like in camera HDR and more).

In most comparisons, the A580 also outperforms the Canon T3i. If you dig around for tests, the Sony A580 would give you lower noise levels, better dynamic range, better color depth, a faster frame rate, more focus points (15 total, including 3 cross type AF points), *much* faster Autofocus when using Live view, and much better battery life.

So, I'd check one out in a store to see how it feels to you before switching systems, since you could use your existing HVL-F42AM Flash (a nice one) and Lenses with another Sony dSLR (and any lens you use on it would be stabilized, too).

Note that the Sony A580 wouldn't use your 4GB CompactFlash card either (the A580 uses SDHC cards or Memory Stick Pro Duo cards). But, memory cards are cheap anymore. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote