Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 11, 2004, 3:11 AM   #1
Default G5 BIG memory

So, I'm new to this. my nephew is bringing me a Canon g5 over from the US, cause they are cheaper. I want to store lots of good quality images on a trip through outback Australia, where it is too hot to carry a laptop. I heard a whisper that there is a BIG memory available, something that you can plug into the back of the camera and load into. Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks Bill
Hey Steve, bonzer site mate
ozbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:54 AM   #2

BIG memory for most cameras only goes as far as 2Gbyte because most only use a FAT16 file storage format. If the camera stores as FAT32 (like Windows PC) then in theory capacity will be as high as they can presently make compact storage.

Because of the 2Gbyte limit. Your choices will be more cards or less cards, portable image storage devices (usually laptop hard drive based) or laptop. When price comes into it, even duplicating large capacity cards is likely to be more expensive than freeing up space to a portable image store. The type that plug into the camera USB may be slow to transfer and will use up camera battery juice, so I'd look at products like Image Tank that just take the card.

How many eggs do you want on your local camera flashcard? I wouldn't like to to risk finding out a picture problem after I'd shot lots, and it's often difficult to judge focus on playback from a camera lcd. A larger preview display on the remote storage system would be important for me and I'd probably transfer quite frequently from the camera card. Hope this helps. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 3:49 PM   #3
Default vox

Thanks, I agree, the laptop edit option is the best, and it allows you to ditch a lot of dud photos. Maybe I will have a look at packing the computer to survive the heat and dust on the back of the truck. I have a 240 volt inverter that works fine off the battery.
ozbill is offline   Reply With Quote